What is the drive plate?

Theo

Featured Posts

I feel rather embarrassed to ask the question but I know that after the eyes rolled heavenward there will be some sensible answers. I link to a picture would be good, perfect if it is in a BMC setup.

Nick

I feel rather embarrassed to ask the question but I know that after the eyes rolled heavenward there will be some sensible answers. I link to a picture would be good, perfect if it is in a BMC setup.

Nick

If you've ever seen a cars clutch centre plate (disc) the one with friction linings on both sides, well a drive plate looks a bit similar but unlike a clutch disc it is bolted to your flywheel and is the medium that connects your engines rotating crankshaft flywheel via its centre hole splines to your gearboxes first motion splined shaft to provide through transmission to the prop shaft.

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently changed engines - BMC 1.5 - and found the drive plate with a variety of holes was made to fit various flywheels. I was able to use the same bolts and once I'd removed the rust from the holes on the replacement engine's flywheel, it fitted a treat. Bolted up the bell housing etc. then had the engine lifted back in with all ancillaries.

About to bleed the fuel system I found that the engine was totally 'LOCKED!'

To cut a long story short - two bolts inside the bell housing on the gear box side were binding against the compression plate. Once these had been reduced in depth the clearance was sufficient and problem solved.

Lesson? 1. - Check clearances. 2. Having connected the gearbox make sure the engine still turns!