Keeping stuff dry

John Williamson 1955

Featured Posts

I may have a slight problem. I occasionally do some sound recording and the microphones are rather sensitive to damp conditions.

Storage on land would make doing the recordings uneconomic, so ideally, I'd like to keep the gear on the boat.

The question is, how do I keep a box about 600mm x 300mm x 150mm bone dry inside. Ease of access to the contents isn't a real priority, so maybe something like a plastic underbed storage box sealed with duck tape and with some silica gel inside? Or maybe just a few watts of heat in the box to keep it well above the dew point inside, as I will have almost uninterrupted mains power from either the shore supply or the inverter.

The alternative is to give up recording music, which I don't want to do if I can avoid it, even though it's just a "now and then" hobby at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Bye!

John.

If you have a bit of cash then you could do far worse than buying a Peli case. Not cheap it they are designed to be thrown into water from helicopters!

A few bags of silica as well will reduce any moisture from atmosphere when out.

Good luck

Rob

I use silica gel for camera stuff in sealed boxes. Just remember that you need to either dry it out or replace occasionally. Silica gel bags dirt cheap on ebay.

Agree with the others, plenty of big packets of silica gel not just the little sachets that come as freebies with small electronics.

Also maybe worth getting a digital thermometer/hygrometer, with transparent storage boxes it can be checked without opening them up.

You probably know this already, but if stored in cold conditions let them up to room temp before taking them out to be used, that way dew can't form on/inside them.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~