Lost & Found!

Carrie

Featured Posts

Having lost my wallet, phone, keys etc far too many times to mention, I would always hand these items in as I've always been lucky and benefited from strangers doing the same. Stealing a purse - shame on you!!!

I was about 8, and I didn't steal it, I found it or so I thought, but the facists soon set me straight after my headmaster grassed me up....I am the soul of probity these days...Just thought I would flag up the fact that everytime you pick something up and keep it you leave yourself wide open to arrest and prosecution by the Senior Milk Monitors.

Just thought I would flag up the fact that everytime you pick something up and keep it you leave yourself wide open to arrest and prosecution by the Senior Milk Monitors.

I have learnt by bitter experience that if anyone would care to torch my boat, break into my house and crap in my dinner, rob me , punch me in the face or spit in my eye, that's fine. But if I drop a crisp packet on the ground I will do ten years.

I am the soul of probity these days.

I was pulling your whiskers, I did much worse things when I was a troubled teenager. I cringe just thinking about it...

You're right about the Milk Monitors of this world, only to keen to point the finger at you. They need to prove their 'elevated moral status' to compensate for other, sadly lacking, aspects of their personality. Nothing has changed since primary school...

I believe there's recently been some legisaltion on supermarket trolleys. I understand a supermarket can now be "fined" for every trolley the local authority has to recover. I heard a figure of 150 quid each.

And not before time too.....

Why? Fines are a punishment upon a person committing an offence. It is rather unlikely that supermarkets shove their own trolleys into the canal. Therefore they do not deserve to be punished for this practice.

It is the public who sling the trolleys in the canal. Consequently it is the public who should pay to clear them just as the public have to pay for street cleaning litter and other similar jobs that are required because of the widespread ill behaviour and disregard for the environment and other people that is the hallmark of too many modern Brits.

regards

Steve

Why? Fines are a punishment upon a person committing an offence. It is rather unlikely that supermarkets shove their own trolleys into the canal. Therefore they do not deserve to be punished for this practice.

But many supermarkets could do more to stop their trolleys ending up in the canal. My local Tesco (which is nowhere near a canal) has recently replaced all its trolleys, and all the new ones are fitted with a device which locks if anyone tries to take a trolley further than the perimeter of the car park. It certainly seems to have dramatically reduced the number of trolleys seen on neighbouring roads.

It is the public who sling the trolleys in the canal. Consequently it is the public who should pay to clear them just as the public have to pay for street cleaning litter and other similar jobs that are required because of the widespread ill behaviour and disregard for the environment and other people that is the hallmark of too many modern Brits.

regards

Steve

I think that is the point...If Mr Tesco and friends were more careful about making sure the trollies dont leave the confines of there property they will never get lost....I think the main culprits are people who live within walking distance of a store but can't be a**sed to carry their shopping home or return the trolley afterwards, then they get dumped on the street as no-one wants one as a garden feature, the local asbo crew gets hold of them with predictable results.

You don't really thing fines would cut into Tesco's profits do you? :captain:

They are a business expense and would be passed onto their customers like all their other overheads..... They are reluctant to introduce the chains because they are unpopular with customers and they would do nothing that may jepodise their trading position.

You don't really thing fines would cut into Tesco's profits do you? :captain:

They are a business expense and would be passed onto their customers like all their other overheads..... They are reluctant to introduce the chains because they are unpopular with customers and they would do nothing that may jepodise their trading position.

No of course this will make little difference to Tesco's profits. But that isn't the point at all. Fines are a punishment for an offence as I said. So why should supermarkets pay for an offence they haven't committed just because they have the money?

It is typical of a lot of modern thinking that they are somehow to blame if they don't have all sorts of devices to prevent trolley theft like returnable coin slots or like my local branch whose trollies cleverly are somehow made to lock when they go over a red line in the grounds of the store. But that is all bull. If somebody steals something or vandalises it, it can never be the fault of the person suffering, even if they didn't take every posssible precaution. It is always the fault of the person committing the offence, they are the offender. It turns logic on its head to say that the victim is somehow to blame.

So quite obviously it is the great British public that is the offender. Nobody else. Consequently that public should pay, which means you and me. The fact that this public contains a significant proportion of scumbags who are out of control and prepared to vandalise the landscape, and much more serious offences, is wholly their fault, not Tesco and the like.

regards

Steve

I don't see why a reasonable charge cannot be levied on "tescos" for the salvage and return of their trollies.

if you live in the west midlands, and your car is stolen, then you have to pay for its recovery. (not sure about other areas) so why not "Tescos"

http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/crime-r...n-car-crime.asp

in a vague effort to return this thread to topic...

I'd leave the item, although if it were a windlass i think there should be a communal windlass pool that we all chuck "found" windlasses into and withdraw from, when ours inevitably ends up taking a swim, or being abandoned by a lock somewhere.

Edited by fuzzyduck

In answer to my own question, I did acquire something today :D . In the hedge, I found a good LED headtorch. I'm 3 miles from the nearest village/town, so I think it might belong to a cyclist who maybe lost it on a branch one night.

I'll see if any cyclist comes along, but it seems unlikely they'd know where to look!