Dumb butty

allybsc

Featured Posts

Now I'm sure i'll be called dim for asking this..but what is the origin of this name, i'd never heard of it before i got into boating..be nice to know

Cheers

Ally p.

Butty is an Old English word, predominantly from the mining areas in the North, meaning friend or workmate. Hence the term being applied to an unmotorised boat accompanying a motor boat.

Butty is an Old English word, predominantly from the mining areas in the North, meaning friend or workmate. Hence the term being applied to an unmotorised boat accompanying a motor boat.

In the Northern Mining areas they worked as butty gangs. The mine owners contracted to pay buttygangs a given rate for the amount of coal that they worked. The miners were essentially mates who appointed the oldest and (hopefully the wisest) of their number to deal with the mine management. On a Friday evening they met to share out the butty gang's earnings.

A memebr of a gang was known as a buttyman. Just think what Ali G would make of this if only he knew. SHHHHH

Also Sandwich

In the Northern Mining areas they worked as butty gangs. The mine owners contracted to pay buttygangs a given rate for the amount of coal that they worked. The miners were essentially mates who appointed the oldest and (hopefully the wisest) of their number to deal with the mine management. On a Friday evening they met to share out the butty gang's earnings.

A memebr of a gang was known as a buttyman. Just think what Ali G would make of this if only he knew. SHHHHH

:D Borat would def have polaroids!!!!!

Thanks for that, a mystery solved as a northern miners grandaughter I should have known, I did a bit of googling on the subject and dumb butty is still used for a slang term for a pal who is bit of a wazak. so I think maybe a dumb butty would be a deadweight mate dragging behind!!! :D

Edited by allybsc

:D Borat would def have polaroids!!!!!

Thanks for that, a mystery solved as a northern miners grandaughter I should have known, I did a bit of googling on the subject and dumb butty is still used for a slang term for a pal who is bit of a wazak. so I think maybe a dumb butty would be a deadweight mate dragging behind!!! :D

A wazak where I live is often referred to as being "a butty short of a picnic". Indeed a butty is a sandwitch; a chip butty for instance. People in Wigan like pie butties, literally a pie on a butty.