Cranfleet Flood Lock Closed

bozlite

Featured Posts

Hoping to get back to Beeston this evening, we find ourselves stuck on the wrong side of Cranfleet flood lock! Worse places to be, I suppose. Anyway, we've got to get into work (Nottingham) tomorrow, so what's the best way of finding out when the flood lock is reopened so we can recover our boat? The stoppages website (Waterscape) seems a bit hit and miss.

Any advice gratefully received!

Oh dear. Not a good place to be. Which direction did you come from? I hope someone will be along with ideas. Ropes will really need checking. I know people who have gone up the first lock onto the erewash in such circumstances but can be difficult if a fast flow and may not be able to get under the bridge.

Rivers have risen very fast again. I checked the e a site this morning and the Trent seemed to have levelled off at willington but it's gone right up again. The soar seems to have levelled off.

We are on the Trent in Nottingham and there's certainly a fast flow and plenty of debris.

RichardT usually posts when cranfleet floodgates open and shut but with Nottingham station closed he's not crossing the Rail bridge at the moment.

Hoping to get back to Beeston this evening, we find ourselves stuck on the wrong side of Cranfleet flood lock! Worse places to be, I suppose. Anyway, we've got to get into work (Nottingham) tomorrow, so what's the best way of finding out when the flood lock is reopened so we can recover our boat? The stoppages website (Waterscape) seems a bit hit and miss.

Any advice gratefully received!

Frustratingly CRT don't normally update their stoppages on a week end and bank holidays. Something should appear on there in the morning though.

I had a similar issue, but being stuck on the Soar just passed Zouch. Ended up diverting to Loughborough, but will need to collect the boat as soon as the weather stabalises. It did bring home that the status of things like this are very hard to ascertain at the time they are happening, especially in relation to flood locks/gates.

Frustratingly CRT don't normally update their stoppages on a week end and bank holidays. Something should appear on there in the morning though.

y

In this case why should they?

It's the ea that shut the flood gates!

The EA are responsible for river levels and flood protection.

CRT are merely concerned with navigation.

If the ea shut the navigation due to flood levels it is bugger a to do with CRT.

The EA are not concerned with navigation but flood prevention and water management. We are a bye use!

If the ea shut the navigation due to flood levels it is bugger a to do with CRT.

The EA are not concerned with navigation but flood prevention and water management. We are a bye use!

This depends on the navigation surely?

Interesting clearly the OP too was not aware of that either.

No I wasn't - though it makes sense. I suppose the alerts I occasionally get from CRT telling me that flood locks have been shut made me think that they had control over the process - the EA must tell them, at least? Anyway, my problem (not a life-changing in the grand scheme things, I know) remains the same: where best to find out about flood locks being reopened? I'd be happy to stay just where I am, of course, but wage-slavery and all that ...

When we were stuck in Loughborough last year Dave phoned CRT and they gave him the mobile number of the guy on the ground who makes the decisions. We rang him each morning to check the state of play and he was very helpful.

Could be worth giving CRT a bell to see if they can give you a contact number.

No I wasn't - though it makes sense. I suppose the alerts I occasionally get from CRT telling me that flood locks have been shut made me think that they had control over the process - the EA must tell them, at least? Anyway, my problem (not a life-changing in the grand scheme things, I know) remains the same: where best to find out about flood locks being reopened? I'd be happy to stay just where I am, of course, but wage-slavery and all that ...

If it is a case of an ea decision being passed to CRT there will (should) still be something on waterscape. Whenever the flood locks and gates get shut up here (whoever is responsible for doing it) the info. is always on waterscape (weekends and BH's aside as already said).

Edited by The Dog House

Or the EA guy who's number CRT gave you?

The bottom line though that it still should be on CRT's stoppages page in the morning, who takes the decision is immaterial.

Sorry Rachel. I am almost certain In this case, CRT employees control the flood lock at Sawley (Dave) and I think Cranfleet is Graham.

Sorry Rachel. I am almost certain In this case, CRT employees control the flood lock at Sawley (Dave) and I think Cranfleet is Graham.

Is there one co-ordinated number you can call in advance to check these things for a region/area - such as the soar, or nottingham to sawley - rather than calling individual CRT people? I'm surprised in this day and age, there isn't a 'real time' online system

But only on the EA's say so.

Ask them if you wish.

They will only say the same.

Whilst CRT are responsible for the navigation side of these rivers it is still the EA who are responsible for flood prevention.

Ask them if you wish.

Whilst CRT are responsible for the navigation side of these rivers it is still the EA who are responsible for flood prevention.

Ask them if you wish.

So did numpty from Pillings blame CRT or EA for his flood last year.........

He blamed CRT.

Ask them if you wish.

But why would not expect CRT to update their stoppages as per post #6. They do in all other cases, even if as you state they don't actually make the decision...