Just How Many Boats Are There?

Rizzo

Featured Posts

I am considering buying a narrowboat and I was wondering just how congested the canals are.

I last owned a boat in 1986 and travel was fairly traffic free then. Does anyone have an idea of how many boats are on the canals now compared to then.

Thanks in advance

Rizzo

Depends where you go.

E.G. the Llangollen during the school holidays has a reputation for being a bit of a logjam.

At the same time of year I've cruised 20 miles in a day on the BCN and seen no more than a couple of boats moving.

I have hired boats annually since 1974. I don't know numbers but I am not sure numbers will tell the whole story. There are thousands more boats than there used to be but it seems to me the vast majority are in marinas or moored up and not out on the cut, most of the time. Yes there are more linear moorings now that slow you down a bit but there are still lots of peaceful, quiet canals. Yes there are more boats but not so many that they detract from the enjoyment of cruising the canals. perhaps the only exception I have found to this was crossing the Poncysyllte in half term!

Buy the boat and enjoy!

Nick

I am considering buying a narrowboat and I was wondering just how congested the canals are.

I last owned a boat in 1986 and travel was fairly traffic free then. Does anyone have an idea of how many boats are on the canals now compared to then.

Thanks in advance

Rizzo

Welcome to the forum,

Any congestion varies across the system. In very general terms it it is much less congested in the North and gets more congested the further South you go particularly around large conurbations and the nearer you get to London. Parts of the Midlands get quite busy too.

Obviously there are seasonal variations too with more boats on the move from spring through summer and less so as you get into autumn winter. Lots of boaters don't boat in the autumn and winter meaning it can be a great time to boat as it's quieter particularly on the busy spots. (Ice permitting of course).

I'm sure I've read on here that boat numbers have been relatively static over the past decade or two but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

The usual number quoted for private boats with licences to use CRT waters is around 34,000, but that probably overstates it a bit, as some of those are Gold licences, so those holding them may equally well be on EA waters at any point in time.

The most recently declared numbers showed a slight fall, but I can't recall exact detail.

Hire boat numbers have been declining for some time, I think.

As has beenn said, the vast majority of private boats do not move very often, or very far, (and many not at all), so the overall number doesn't tell you a lot.

Probably a better guideline as to "how much is moving" are CRT's published figures for lock operations at key locks on the system. These have also indicated that usage of the canals for boating has declined somewhat in the most recent years.

To be specific IIRC there were about 15,000 boats registered in the 80's a oppose to 34,000 now (as reported above).

in those days there were very few marinas and they were small.

Pure numbers are not an useful tool as there were more small and short boats in the 70's and 80's, consequently most didn't cruise for from their home base.

All of my cruising has been in the peak of the summer. Last year we did Llangollen in mid August and while there were a few boats around it could not be described as very busy. To be honest, it was fairly quite and a lot less busy than I thought it would be.

I have walked a lot of the L & L especially from Wigan flight past Burscough and towards Liverpool. I have also walked the Rufford arm in summer.

There are a lot less locks than one would expect over this area and distance and I have never seen it as I would describe as busy. Locks can give a false impression as if you see a que you presume it's busy but it isn't really it's just people waiting to use a lock rather than congestion if you know what I mean.