A Wider Horizon

Ray T

Featured Posts

Looks lovely. Where did you go? We have enjoyed many weekends in the Solent. Bucklers Hard is probably my favorite spot to visit and it's great fun tacking up the river as far as you dare! It was our love of sailing that led us to the canals - we live in the North and canals were more accessible than the Solent ( We have sailed out of Hull but it's not recommended). Any more photos?

Looks lovely. Where did you go? We have enjoyed many weekends in the Solent. Bucklers Hard is probably my favorite spot to visit and it's great fun tacking up the river as far as you dare! It was our love of sailing that led us to the canals - we live in the North and canals were more accessible than the Solent ( We have sailed out of Hull but it's not recommended). Any more photos?

I am a member of The Spread Eagle Sailing Club, based at The Hamble. A group of us charter a couple of times a year. this trip was just a long weekend. We went to Alum Bay, Lymington and Southampton Water. We had an instructor on board as we were using the trip to brush up on our skills MOB, picking up a buoy under motor and sail, ferry gliding onto a mooring, a bit of pilotage after dark and so on. I have been sailing offshore off and on since the early 70's with a rest for bringing up a family. I have also been narrow boating for many a year as the late Mrs T MK1 could not swim. The current Mrs T and myself decided a Narrow boat would suit us better than a yacht - we are only 1/2 hours drive from our marina.

qc9h.jpg

dh1d.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Why is it not recommended to sail out of Hull?

Load of tosh.

To the OP stunning photos.

Without looking at the tidal charts I would hazzard a guess that whilst a boat such as yours could buck the tidal rips a yacht with a motor similar size to a average NB could well be in trouble.

Also the Humber has the only full time professionally crewed life boat in the UK because of the dangers.

"Load of tosh"?

From here: http://www.humber-rescue.org.uk/

"The River Humber is said to be one of the most dangerous navigable rivers in the world. It is not surprising that even the most experienced of navigators can be caught out by its shifting sands and seven knot currents.

Humber Rescue is an independent charity responsible for the provision of a fast-response rescue boat on the rivers of the Humber Estuary. The area covered by Humber Rescue is approximately 540 square miles and includes the Rivers, Trent, Ouse, Hull and Humber".

Edited by Ray T

Why is it not recommended to sail out of Hull?

Load of tosh.

To the OP stunning photos.

Purely because Its not particularly scenic. I don't think i ever said it was unsailable. Just that I, personally, wouldn't recommend it.

I am a member of The Spread Eagle Sailing Club, based at The Hamble. A group of us charter a couple of times a year. this trip was just a long weekend. We went to Alum Bay, Lymington and Southampton Water. We had an instructor on board as we were using the trip to brush up on our skills MOB, picking up a buoy under motor and sail, ferry gliding onto a mooring, a bit of pilotage after dark and so on. I have been sailing off shore off and on since the early 70's with a rest for bringing up a family. I have also been narrow boating for many a year as the late Mrs T MK1 could not swim. The current Mrs T and myself decided a Narrow boat would suit us better than a yacht - we are only 1/2 hours drive from our marina.

qc9h.jpg

dh1d.jpg

Stunning photos Ray, they have definitely given us the bug for a weekend in the Solent. We usually charter out of Gosport. Sounds like an interesting weekend. It must have been busy in the Solent with the weather being so good so I'm sure it must have been fun practising your manouveres and MOB.

Purely because Its not particularly scenic. I don't think i ever said it was unsailable. Just that I, personally, wouldn't recommend it.

Stunning photos Ray, they have definitely given us the bug for a weekend in the Solent. We usually charter out of Gosport. Sounds like an interesting weekend. It must have been busy in the Solent with the weather being so good so I'm sure it must have been fun practising your manouveres and MOB.

Yes I'm just glad I wasn't MOB as with some of our collective efforts the MOB would possibly be 1/2 way to Poole by now. wacko.png

It was a useful week end as it is sobering to realise how complacent and rusty you can get if your skills aren't practiced.

On Sunday the Solent was rather akin to Clapham Station but there were some absolutely fabulous boats out + a couple of Pan Pan's and a Mayday.

Edited by Ray T