Hi Newbe looking at boats, were my concerns about a boat justified

slimpie

Featured Posts

So I looked at a boat this week, I'm now not going to buy it but wondered what I should be expecting, on driving the boat I noticed it had a slight tendency to turn right, is this acceptable? Shouldn't they drive straight?

Also is the Builder's plate like a VIN on a car? It's the only way to identify that it is the boat it says it is? On the boat I looked at I got the impression that the plate had been removed and put back, is that normal?

There may or may not have been a problem with the steering.

Lots of things affect how the rudder/boat behaves.

A boat should, in deep, non (or little) flow water steer straight.

Closeness to the bank, shallow water will 'drag' the boat towards it, something round the prop also has an effect.

For instance on my boat I know if the prop wash is not directly behind the boat and not 'splashing', the prop is fouled usually just leaves etc, a quick blast in reverse clears it.

If I am constantly steering right is also an indication the the prop is fouled.

Shallow water will drag the boat even more into the shallow

Not very helpful in whether you made the right decision just an indication of the way a boat steering can be affected.

The builders plate is similar to the VIN on a car but not permanently fixed.

Depending on its age, it is a recent requirement for the HIN (Hull Identification Number) to be permanently marked on the hull.

Mine is done in weld on the swim in the engine bay.

A boat should, in deep, non (or little) flow water steer straight.

Not really.

In gear it will tend to go the opposite way to the prop turning and a small (emphasis on the small) amount of counter-tiller will be needed to go in a straight line.

This is normal and due to the way a propellor spins (research 'prop walk')

Out of gear, the boat should continue on the course it's on (wind and current allowing). It's the way to leave the helm for short periods to, for instance, put the kettle on.

If it doesn't I would looking at the trim - is it flat in the water side to side - are there any fenders down, does the tiller return to a central position (easily) when you let go of it.

So I looked at a boat this week, I'm now not going to buy it but wondered what I should be expecting, on driving the boat I noticed it had a slight tendency to turn right, is this acceptable? Shouldn't they drive straight?

Also is the Builder's plate like a VIN on a car? It's the only way to identify that it is the boat it says it is? On the boat I looked at I got the impression that the plate had been removed and put back, is that normal?

Hi

Its all ok.Many many boats veer to one side or the other for various reasons some as Chris has stated.

By Builders plate if you mean the brass jobby affixed to exterior of boat these are merely screwed on and are often removed/replaced when painting.

If its the permanent often welded type numbers often under the deckboards near the swims then this should no be tampered with.

Tim

Thanks all for responding, it's given me things to think about. It seems that the HIN (Hull Identification Number) is what I should have been looking for. I found the right steering quite noticeable, I didn't notice it on the hire boat but wasn't going to buy that so wasn't looking for faults. These boats are are hard to understand when new to them, again thanks all for your responses