Not NB or living aboard, but will still be floating!

grannykins

Featured Posts

Hi, I've been lurking here for years now, with only the ocasional post.

Our plan is to move onto a nb in 3 1/2 years when we retire, and cruise the network for as long as we are able. We made the definite decision about 2 years ago, and there are various valid reasons why we cant actually do it any sooner. We usually manage one week or short break on a nb each year (usually during the winter months), and in the meantime make do by taking our touring caravan to canalside sites and being very jealous gongoozlers! We had already worked out that its not financially viable to keep even a little boat for holidays, as we dont have an awful lot of time off together, partly because my husbands two days off a week are always split up.

However .... we have just discovered a little marina about 40 mins away from us which is on a small private stretch of waterway. This means that, instead of having to pay out for a 12 month CRT licence, we only need a licence when we are off the marina. So we can buy a little GRP cruiser, get a 30 day explorer licence and have 4 weeks and 2 days per year on the water for just about the price of a weeks hire!

Going to see the marina tomorrow, the guy there has already said there are moorings available for a 20 - 25 ft cruiser. Then we can boat hunt. Really excited!clapping.gif

Hello

This may not affect you- but the 30day explorer licence rules changed recently- I'm not sure if they actually changed or hadnt been enforced correctly before. We were on private water and enquired about a 30day explorer licence and were refused, because even though our water was private, the waterway was next to a CRT waterway.

I'm sure someone will come along and explain better than I have- but worth checking

BWML at Sawley who can issue licences explained this to me- so might be worth a chat with them

• Greenie 1

Thanks for that. The marinas website does say that licence isnt necessary when in the marina, and when I spoke to the guy there he said that an explorer licence would be ok. Will certainly check it out though.

Also, I've just seen an ad for a 30ft springer NB for £6000 - worht a look or not, do you think? Would we be better sticking to our original idea of a cheaper cruiser? Would much rather have a NB, but not if its going to need a lot of work doing, as I suppose this one would.

PS, I've just e mailed CRT to check about the licence - will report back with their reply.

Thanks again.

Edited by grannykins

Oh I am sorry-I'm sure things will place into place- when we were looking there was so much to check out and take in, it started to feel hard work- but it does all come together

Keep smiling

Ok, unfortunately you are correct. We can have a 3 month or 6 month licence, but not a 30 day explorer. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Guess we'll have to wait out the 3 1/2 years sad.png

Where is the marina?

Is it in an area where a rivers only licence is appropriate?

Our 12 month rivers only licence for our 25ft cruiser is only a shade over £300. A bargain really considering what we get for the price.

It's odd that I have a Bridgewater Canal licence and can buy a CART licence for a week, month, quarter or year but people on private arms off CART waters can't. I guess it's to stop people doing what you were thinking of, seems a bit petty to mesad.png

Hi, thanks for all your replies. I'm just glad we found out about the explorer licence before we bought anything. The marina owner rang CRT to confirm what we had told him, as he was unaware they are stopping them and has several other people at the marina who have been using them.

Its Ashford marina on the Shropshire and Worcester, so not on a river.

We have, however, decided to go ahead anyway, and just buy either a 6 or a 12 month licence. We saw this one today at Ashford http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=252794.

Didnt look too bad, but at the moment we are thinking about this one

http://www.boatsforsaleuk.co.uk/burland-26-for-sale-1591/

The guy who owns this one doesnt live local to the boat, and we cant meet up with him to see it till Friday 14th June. Any tips for when we go to see it would be appreciated. And if we were to get it, how long about would it take to get from the Coventry back to Ashford? We are off work for a week from Sunday the 23rd June.

That's a difficult one to choose, both look nice and the Dawncraft has had a re-fit so will probably be in better nick, however, I have a soft spot for Burlands and it's £1,750 cheaper,for the price given you only want it for 4 years I'd go Burland, provided it is as it looks in the pictures. Post what happens and good luck K

That's a difficult one to choose, both look nice and the Dawncraft has had a re-fit so will probably be in better nick, however, I have a soft spot for Burlands and it's £1,750 cheaper,for the price given you only want it for 4 years I'd go Burland, provided it is as it looks in the pictures. Post what happens and good luck K

Of those two I would head in the direction of the Dawncraft. The engine is more modern which is a major consideration with cheap old boats like these. The majority of the value is hung on the back.

Hello

This may not affect you- but the 30day explorer licence rules changed recently- I'm not sure if they actually changed or hadnt been enforced correctly before. We were on private water and enquired about a 30day explorer licence and were refused, because even though our water was private, the waterway was next to a CRT waterway.

I'm sure someone will come along and explain better than I have- but worth checking

BWML at Sawley who can issue licences explained this to me- so might be worth a chat with them

In my opinion this is short sighted greed on the part of CRT.

Reading a little of the OP's character from their posts ( a highly misleading thing as other threads show ) I would say that they probably won't do what might be tempting in these circumstances and take a stand - go onto CRT waters without a licence. Their legal remedy is to give 28 days notice to 'remedy the breach', parliament's words, not mine. At which point I would offer them the price of an explorer licence.

My reading of the various waterways acts is that they don't have the powers to penalise sections of boaters like this.

And that's apart from my view that boaters like the OP should be encouraged as in recent years that pattern of boating has been priced off the water. A Bad Thing.

Thanks again for further replies.

We did consider a boat on a trailer, but find that most seem to need a 4 x 4 to tow properly. I cant run one of those as I do too many miles and need 50 miles to the gallon from my car. Also, there doesnt seem to be that many places that you can get them in and out of the water.

The Dawncraft seems to have the vote so far - does sound like it has been maintained better doesnt it? The guy at Ashcroft also pointed out to us that its a buyers market and that the boat has been up for sale for quite a long time. He was obviously hinting that we should offer lower. Any idea on what would be a good offer? Would £3000 be too low as a starting offer?

The guy with the Burland now tells us that the boat has been re named. Making me wonder if the boat in the picture is the same one, or perhaps a pic of the boat as he bought it 5 years ago. When I asked about how much licence was on it he just said he pays monthly for his licence and would just stop paying it if he sold the boat. Maybe I should ask him for a current picture. Or drive over to Hawksbury on our day off and see if we can see it around. Dont want to drag him dowm from Cumbria if its going to be an obvious waste of time for all concerned. Someone has also told me that we wouldnt be able to get insurance if the boat hasnt been out of the water for 5 years.

And no, we wouldnt consider going on the water without a licence. The same as we wouldnt drive a car with no tax. And when we do eventually get our narrowboat home, we will continuously cruise (that way the kids wont have a clue where we are :D )

I would say that £3k is a fair price to start discussions at.

It isn't worth having a survey on a boat if that value so make sure you try and test as many of the inboard items as you can. Make a list of anything requiring attention to further aid your bargaining power.

There are companies that will insure boats with out a recent survey.

Thanks Cal, will look at that insurer.

Just had a really good afternoon. We decided to go and take a look at Hawksbury junction to see if the Burland was anywhere to be seen - and we found it! It was on the side opposite the towpath, so couldnt get as close as we would like, but here is a pic of her this afternoon

DSC_1592.jpg

Looks to be in ok condition from the outside, so we will definitely go and see her properly next week. The guy said he will take us for a trip in her :)

Then we were talking to a lovely couple who live aboard nb Lady Heliotrope, Maureen and Peter, who very kindly invited us on board for a cuppa and showed us around.

On our way back to the car, we stopped and chatted for a good while to a guy in a small 18ft cruiser, who was telling us all about cruiser clubs with cheap moorings. All in all, a really enjoyable afternoon :D