Musical canalside pubs

Kwacker

Featured Posts

I enjoy a good sing song and a strum on the ol' guitar ... are there any canalside pubs in the Midlands that will indulge me? Don't want amplifiers and microphones, just sitting in a circle singing & playing unplugged.

Specifically, we are out for 2 weeks going south (or north?) from Foxton and the direction we take as we reach each junction will be made up as we go along.

As an Xtreme Leisureboater, I won't be setting any records for speed or distance and we don't need to do a "there and back".

The Swan in the Rushes in Loughborough could be worth a try. Don't know they welcome ad hoc visits from musicians but they regularly have live music, so you could ask.

Sadly, the Fiddle & Bone on the New Main Line in Brum got closed a few years ago after local residents complained about the noise of music there. Unprintable expletives! It still stands empty, what a crying shame. Why buy a flat near a pub if......? Like buying a house by a canal & asking not to see boats, who would do that?

One of my favourite canalside pubs is the Anchor at High Offley, often there's folk musicians playing informally there. Locally the Wharf pub in Macclesfield behind the Hovis Mill has a variety of live music including folk sessions. Last week we were at the tunnel top pub, Dutton, above Preston Brook Tunnel and about a dozen musicians turned up for a very informal session, these included local boaters on concertina, guitars, flute, & Northumberland? pipes, it was a great evening.

Also events like Middlewich Folk & Boat Festival and Shakerstone can be very good for music sessions in canalside hostelries.

If you are on the Calder & Hebble near Wakefield, many will know the Bingley Arms - not a bad pub, but rather sullen staff.

However, if carry on (away from Wakefield) to the next locks - figure of three - there is a pathway at the side of the old Lockkeepers Cottage that will take you to probably the best pub in the area - the Brewers Pride at Healey. Dog friendly, with at least 9 real ales and food most days.

Probably a quarter of a mile, under the railway and over the river, but well worth it. Why they don't put a sign by the locks, I don't know, but there we go.

BTW, I have no connection to the pub, other than as a customer. They do have a website. Google it, and have a look for yourselfbiggrin.png

If you are on the Calder & Hebble near Wakefield, many will know the Bingley Arms - not a bad pub, but rather sullen staff.

However, if carry on (away from Wakefield) to the next locks - figure of three - there is a pathway at the side of the old Lockkeepers Cottage that will take you to probably the best pub in the area - the Brewers Pride at Healey. Dog friendly, with at least 9 real ales and food most days.

Probably a quarter of a mile, under the railway and over the river, but well worth it. Why they don't put a sign by the locks, I don't know, but there we go.

BTW, I have no connection to the pub, other than as a customer. They do have a website. Google it, and have a look for yourselfbiggrin.png

Well, what a timely post! A genuine find. Stopped at Figure of 3 locks this afternoon, and walked to the pub this evening. Rather more than 1/4 mile, in fact double that, and under 3 railways and over the river, but well worth it. An unlikely situation, on the edge of an industrial estate and wasteland, but the place was heaving (Friday night) It shows that people will beat a path if you get things right. I would wear wellies if the weather has been wet. 9 real ales, so will have to go back! And no music, thank goodness.

If you do go to the Anchor at High Offley you could also call into the Navigation Inn at Gnosall on Thursday evening. They have a fairly structured open mic night but often ends up with some impromptu music and Steve and Carol are usually happy for do it yourself music in the evenings.

Well, what a timely post! A genuine find. Stopped at Figure of 3 locks this afternoon, and walked to the pub this evening. Rather more than 1/4 mile, in fact double that, and under 3 railways and over the river, but well worth it. An unlikely situation, on the edge of an industrial estate and wasteland, but the place was heaving (Friday night) It shows that people will beat a path if you get things right. I would wear wellies if the weather has been wet. 9 real ales, so will have to go back! And no music, thank goodness.

Glad you liked it!

Healey used to be inhabited by a lot more people, many of whom worked in the Railway Engine Sheds and Marshalling Yards (now long gone) - google "Healey Mills Marshalling Yards" for a potted history. In those days the pub was called the Miller's Arms, and there were shops on the same street.

As you say, the Brewers' is always busy - testament to how good is it - the road to it is a dead end, so NO passing trade. You either walk/drive down a two mile "road to nowhere" to get there - or do the trip from the canalside that you did.

BTW, there are TWO breweries down there - Bob's Brewing Company, behind the pub (White Lion Bitter always on line 2), and Ossett Brewery, just around the corner.

And if you fancy a walk (or a short cruise), The Leggers Inn, up the Dewsbury Arm, is easily reachable.

Been working the Leeds Liverpool of late, and missing the Brewers!sick.gif