Normal Varation Oil of Pressure

mark99

Featured Posts

I'm trying to get to know the 2LW (not the 35 psig model). Specifically the oil pressure variation. I can monitor the oil and water temp, also the oil pressure via the bourden gauge "up top". Like most, I have no rev counter however.

Reading the manual, the oil pressure at 1000 rpm should be 45 psig min at start up. Not having a rev counter I can't tell when at 1000 rpm however the oil pressure kicks over at start up to 50 or so at medium/low revs.

Under load (running alternator which I can switch on an off) combined with a decent run at good chat the engine warms up thoroughly (water temp about 60c and oil looks about 40c) the oil pressure maintains between 42-45 at decent revs but drops at tickover (as to be expected).

I'm not sure when, after a good hard run when the oil pressure drops down I should be "upping" the revs a bit to keep oil pressure up when forced to slow right down (not so good when passing lines of moored boats).

I suppose I'm interested to know what other 2LW's oil pressure variation is.; i.e at start up, slow cruising, tickover after good hard run etc.

NB will be doing oil change at weekend and cleaning/tweaking the relief valve.

tia

Mark

I think your problem is to many gauges wink.png

I have a small one down at floor level beside the engine. It moves a bit when the engine's started.

After that, I use my ears

Edited by Proper Job

Providing that your oil pressure is at normal (45 ish) hot and cold when you are at normal cruising speed then you dont have a problem.

If I remember correctly the manual says that the cold oil pressure will give aproximatley 2 psi higher reading, i doubt that the gauge will show any significant differance.

My 3LW oil pressure remains the pretty much the same (45) wether its hot or cold, throughout the rev range, other than when I have been running on a river working the engine a little harder than on the canals, then it may drop to 35 psi at tickover (300rpm) but will be back to full pressure at normal running speed (500).

I would suggest that you do not touch the PRV as its doing its job properly now. dismantling cleaning and reseting may actually result in lower pressures when hot if you remove any impregnated oil film on the plunger thus increasing the clearance causing leakage around the plunger.

Steve