New to this, any advice please?

Ricco1

Featured Posts

This is my first time on here, so I'll start with a bit of information about myself:

I'm 51 years old, divorced, no kids. I don't work but have a modest income from some rental properties I own. These are managed, so I don't have to be around very often.

The thought of living on a canal boat has grown on me over the last year or two. I spend a lot of time fishing on canals and I've chatted to lots of owners. I've owned various fishing boats over the years, and taken a cruise in Ireland. I love being on water, having the freedom to move, I'm sure it's for me.

My idea is to 'continuously cruise'. However: my other 'watery passion' is surfing; I go off to Indonesia for a couple of months, usually twice a year.

My question (first of many probably!) I'd buy a continuous cruising licence. However, obviously, my continuous cruising would be compromised if I went away. So: are there places opposite to the towpath where payment of a small fee to the owner would entitle me to leave it there for 2 months? and if so, would doing this cause a problem with my licensing?

Oh and if I can squeeze another question in: I have a small motorbike (125cc), it would be great if it could be transported on my boat in some way. Is this possible?

Any replies gratefully received!

Rich

This is my first time on here, so I'll start with a bit of information about myself:

I'm 51 years old, divorced, no kids. I don't work but have a modest income from some rental properties I own. These are managed, so I don't have to be around very often.

The thought of living on a canal boat has grown on me over the last year or two. I spend a lot of time fishing on canals and I've chatted to lots of owners. I've owned various fishing boats over the years, and taken a cruise in Ireland. I love being on water, having the freedom to move, I'm sure it's for me.

My idea is to 'continuously cruise'. However: my other 'watery passion' is surfing; I go off to Indonesia for a couple of months, usually twice a year.

My question (first of many probably!) I'd buy a continuous cruising licence. However, obviously, my continuous cruising would be compromised if I went away. So: are there places opposite to the towpath where payment of a small fee to the owner would entitle me to leave it there for 2 months? and if so, would doing this cause a problem with my licensing?

Oh and if I can squeeze another question in: I have a small motorbike (125cc), it would be great if it could be transported on my boat in some way. Is this possible?

Any replies gratefully received!

Rich

No, just book into a marina somewhere handy

Yes several people carry bikes on boats but unless you buy a tug style it often involves modifications. I did post some photos on here some time back, also look here http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/guest-columnist-section/5775-yarns-from-the-yardcut-and-shut

Can't answer categorically, but you can find an arrangement with landowners, however, this will not necessarilly be without a levy being added by CRT. Don't really know how small a fee you were thinking of, but there's always the option of using the temporary service of a marina.

Other - I suppose if you had a sufficiently adapted boat, you could find it possible to transport a bike.

Ricco

Welcome to the forum.

Question one.

To be pedantic there is only one licence for a boat on C&;RT waters but you do have to declare that you will abide by the 'rules' as continuous Cruiser if the boat does not have a permanent (home) mooring.

What you are describing is what a lot of CCers do, cruise 10 months and put the boat in a marina for the other two.

Difficult to give a cost as it will vary marina to marina. As a guesstimate £500 would cover it.

Question two

Have seen a few boats with motorbikes onboard and some larger than 125.

From GrannyButtons (not my picture)

Motorhome style -

OGXMG4u.jpg

I make no comment as to how practical an arrangement that would be.

Edited by The Dog House

Consider that having a home mooring gives you some more freedom of mooring times in some places -especially if you are in the same place several times a year.

Consider that you will need a gangplank to suit your bike, Consider where you will leave the bike while abroad. maybe you will need wide doors with a hoist/ramp or a mate's garage or shed.

Thanks for the replies. Very positive, I'm sure I'll go ahead with this.

It seems that a tug type boat might suit me best, or at least one with a reasonable length of open deck at the front. Or otherwise I guess I could have a 'holder' fabricated that would sit at the stern, pretty much as in the picture.

Would anyone have an idea of (roughly) the cost either adapting the bow, or having a holder fabricated and fitted?

Thanks again.

Have seen a semi trad with the rear door off set to one side and the motor bike on the other side , when the boat was not in use they were then able to put a cover over the semi trad and the bike . Bunny

If you look at most boats, the water tank is in the bow. There are holes cut out of the bow/cratch walls to allow rainwater, water tank overflows etc to drain out. So in theory there's no reason you couldnt just cut out a piece of the bow/cratch walling and weld hinges to it so it becomes a door. If you ever sold the boat again, you could just have that rewelded back into place.

..but yes a tug style deck would be ideal for you, and make a nice place to sit and fish from too :)

I think you're making the right lifestyle choice, and wish you all the best.

ps...make sure you have space for two bikes...one for your future lady ? :)