240 volt television

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I'm keeping some reserve on this! The gizmo I saw was recommended for LCD tv's used in vehicles. Just sits between the TV and the power source, accepts 10.5 - 15 volt (a dearer one goes up to 28V) and gives a stabilised 12V output.

I can see how a tv designed for vehicle or boat use would have this built in. However one that is designed to run off a mains power supply would expect to get a ready-stabilised dc supply. Therefore I can see how hitting it with 15 volts could upset it. A CRT tv would not be so susceptible as the low voltage for the heater is not too fussy and the rest of the screen is at very high voltage.

Having said that, my aerial booster is designed to run off a 9V pp battery. I've wired it straight in to the boat's DC without any fizzenundpoppen (yet).

Edited by dor

Richard - you'd only need an inverter that can cope with at least 2000W surge for more than 5 seconds. Fridge motors start fairly quickly, and the surge protection on inverters is there to cover these inductive load startup demands.