Paper Logmakers

anne

Featured Posts

Hi

I was pondering over investing in a logmaker. I understand that the ones that make 'bricks' by compressing wet paper can be a bit of a pain to make. I have found one on the net www.logmaker.org.uk which is in itself a lot less bulky and uses dry paper and other 'ingredients' i.e. twigs, dry, leaves etc.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any first hand experience of one of these gadgets, before I part with £20!!!!!!

Cheers!

Anne

Hi

I was pondering over investing in a logmaker. I understand that the ones that make 'bricks' by compressing wet paper can be a bit of a pain to make. I have found one on the net www.logmaker.org.uk which is in itself a lot less bulky and uses dry paper and other 'ingredients' i.e. twigs, dry, leaves etc.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any first hand experience of one of these gadgets, before I part with £20!!!!!!

Cheers!

Anne

Got one of those from the green shop. Haven't burnt anything with it yet because the stoves not fitted yet. It's vastly reducing the amount of rubbish on the boat though. We stick anything that'll burn in the logs: egg boxes, paper/card food packaging etc. Because we're fitting the boat out at the moment we've got what seems like an endless supply of cardboard boxes. The logs it makes will be great for kindling but there's no way they'd be any kind of substitute for coal/actual logs. The brick ones, as well as being a pain to make, I imagine need quite a lot of paper to make a log substantial enough to burn for any amount of time.

I think the really cheap plunger-type one looks most unlikly , however, the £30 one might work?

Never used or seen eather, but i would have though you needed something mechanical to give a decent squeeze.

My uncals mate who owned a saw mill had a huge comertial one, the churned out sawdust brikquets.

- They used to sell them at a fair price, all cash in hand mind.

- Unfortnatly it the broke down, and couldnt be costaffectly repaired.

Daniel

A friend of mine has one that had a vice like action. You soaked the paper etc, put it in the brick mould then wound the vice down until you had enough in to fill the brick shape, you let it dry and used it.

From what I heard they burned quite well, although more as kindling than actual use for long term burning.

There was quite a fashion for these things many years ago when I lived in Wales, where many people had log-burning stoves.

I think without exception everyone who had one gave up on it after a short while. these were the "wet newspaper" type, and it was a messy business and very time-consuming for the amount of heat generated.

Maybe the technology has moved on and they have improved, but i think you have to ask yourself how many bags of coal you can buy for 30 or 40 pounds, and will you get more heat out of your newspare logs?

I used to have one of the wet newspaper ones. It was a real pain to make them, took weeks and weeks in the shed (this was before we were on the boat) to dry them, and then they burnt ok but gave off little heat and LOADS of ash! Not really worth the bother.

The ones at www.logmaker.com however look like they may be a great way to get rid of waste and make a bit of free fuel easily. Would be good to hear of any experience...

Mmmm...Still not sure if I should fork ot for one....the logmaker does look less of a pain to use than the wet paper brick makers but it would be nice to know of someone with first hand experience of actually using one! The one plus point is the recycling thing....less paper/cardboard to cart to the bins with I guess the benefit of a little free fuel!

Its not really...

...its just a diffrent way of buring your rubbish.

My problem is that i just cant see you geting any real energy out of these papier mashie logs!

- Fiar enough highly compressed sawdust logs, which acctally do burn well, and are more envorimental than other things you can do with sawdust. But a few eggboxes and a newpaper ramed into a large plasitc syringe?

Daniel

Its not really...

...its just a diffrent way of buring your rubbish.

My problem is that i just cant see you geting any real energy out of these papier mashie logs!

- Fiar enough highly compressed sawdust logs, which acctally do burn well, and are more envorimental than other things you can do with sawdust. But a few eggboxes and a newpaper ramed into a large plasitc syringe?

Daniel

I think the only way you could compress paper and twigs etc into something dense enough to burn for more than 20 minutes is if you get the Incredible Hulk to press the thing down for you , Now he was very "GREEN" :angry:

• 3 months later...

I got a logmaker (www.logmaker.co.uk) for Christmas from my sisters. Brilliant little thing! It's one of the green tube + plunger dealies, and it works a treat. I now sort my waste into burnables and non-burnables. It takes about 2 minutes to make a 'log' and they burn for around 20 ish. They are most useful for starting the fire with as they mean you don't have to chop and store kindling. Very neat, very effective. £20. Bargain. (and no, I don't work for them B) )

I got a logmaker (www.logmaker.co.uk) for Christmas from my sisters. Brilliant little thing! It's one of the green tube + plunger dealies, and it works a treat. I now sort my waste into burnables and non-burnables. It takes about 2 minutes to make a 'log' and they burn for around 20 ish. They are most useful for starting the fire with as they mean you don't have to chop and store kindling. Very neat, very effective. £20. Bargain. (and no, I don't work for them B) )

do they produce much ash? ie could you burn them on their own without having the empty the ash tray evry hour?

A fair bit of ash yes, but it's super-fine so it doesn't fill the ashpan. Like I said, best for lighting the fire in place of kindling rather than any serious heat. Might be good in Autumn and Spring too when you don't need loads of heat.

A fair bit of ash yes, but it's super-fine so it doesn't fill the ashpan. Like I said, best for lighting the fire in place of kindling rather than any serious heat. Might be good in Autumn and Spring too when you don't need loads of heat.