What do you miss about landlubbing and what do you not miss?

Crazy Scheme

Featured Posts

We've been living afloat for a few months now and the only thing I really miss is a long soak in a large bubble bath. I never really was a showers person and we do have a tiny bath but nothing beats a soak in a full sized bath for me.

But I don't miss living in a street with the constant traffic noise, or door to door salesmen, Jehovas Witnesses or having a doorbell.

I don't miss the junk mail or cold callers that's for sure.

I don't miss the busy road, the cars zooming past at all hours, the kids and drunkards stumbling past the house shouting. the neighbours blaring their music through the walls keeping us awake.

I do occasionally miss having a long soak I admit. With a bad neck from a car accident and suffering from platar faciitis in my feet, being a busy full time working mum, I do miss a long soak now and then, but I wouldn't swap it for the world.

What do I gain? Nice neighbours, a moveable home, the theraputic properties of being by the water, the wildlife, a close community, and a great pride in keeping your boat looking tip top.

If you miss a long soak in the tub.....join the local health club and spend an afternoon in the jacuzzi!

Swim and a sauna makes a nice treat on a cold winters night and it saves your hot water and having to dry the towels!

Andy.

If you miss a long soak in the tub.....join the local health club and spend an afternoon in the jacuzzi!

Swim and a sauna makes a nice treat on a cold winters night and it saves your hot water and having to dry the towels!

Andy.

I'll second that. I don't belong to the local health club because I haven't got enough arms and legs to sacrifice, but when my muscles are playing up I spend the evening in the swim/sauna/jaccuzi of the local baths and its fabulous. I can barely walk afterwards but it does the trick! Even better than a bath.

I miss one thing, and one thing only. A Piano.

I miss one thing, and one thing only. A Piano.

Surely you wouldn't need too big an inverter to run a digital piano? Our Korg has a very similar action to the real thing, plus, if you want, you can play it as a hapsichord, pipe organ or whatever. Still has a stand, and pedals, but only table height, doesn't weigh much and wasn't too expensive.

Surely you wouldn't need too big an inverter to run a digital piano? Our Korg has a very similar action to the real thing, plus, if you want, you can play it as a hapsichord, pipe organ or whatever. Still has a stand, and pedals, but only table height, doesn't weigh much and wasn't too expensive.

Yeah, an elec pianos not going to draw any more than a half dence sterio, and the more expesive ballenced-key ones do have a very good action. And have the advantage that they dont need tuning everytime you fudge a lock entrance!

Daniel

What do I miss? ....spending two hours in the loft browsing through junk that was put there 'because one day it'll be valuable' or 'one day we'll need that'.

What don't I miss? Going into the loft to search for something and then spending two hours.......etc.

Yeah, for me it would be to lack of storage space for hobbies and the like.

- I would kill for more storage on emilyanne, and i dont even live on her!

Also a peice of ground to call my own. Not many NB's have a dence lawn on them!

Daniel

digital... inverter... GASP.

I did use a Korg (which was expensive, but I borrowed it!) for a while when I lived in a flat but it just wasn't the same so I carted my piano up the very awkward steps.

I suppose I would settle for an upright, but there simply isn't the space, and I can't beleive my neighbours/neighbourhead/county would thank me.

Also a peice of ground to call my own. Not many NB's have a dence lawn on them!

Daniel

Yeah, and where would I keep my chickens, on some astroturf on the roof and let them out on the towpath when I moor up? Oh, and the lack of storage space. Would I really get my old 850lb Harley on the tug deck? I really would love to live aboard (but not on a marina!) full-time instead of just a month or so at a time like I do now, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up everything else. Materialistic or what?

Noah

I could give up my neighbours though!

Edited by Noah

I suppose I would settle for an upright, but there simply isn't the space, and I can't beleive my neighbours/neighbourhead/county would thank me.

Stick it under the cratch... :angry:

- I serously wouldnt worry about the neighbours tho, not really my style!

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

Hell's Teeth Bullfrog! That looks amazing!

I can understand that, with issues of space and ballast, not to mention door sizes, it's not really feasible to put a real piano on a narrowboat (though I daresay someone will say they've got one), but if that's got the action of an acoustic piano, at that price it's got to be worth a look.

I can understand a proper pianist looking down their nose at an electronic keyboard, but when a keyboard can have the action and touch of the real thing, surely a digital piano is better than no piano.

http://www.chamberlainmusic.com/ProductDet...roductID=DGX620

Hell's Teeth Bullfrog! That looks amazing!

I can understand that, with issues of space and ballast, not to mention door sizes, it's not really feasible to put a real piano on a narrowboat (though I daresay someone will say they've got one), but if that's got the action of an acoustic piano, at that price it's got to be worth a look.

I can understand a proper pianist looking down their nose at an electronic keyboard, but when a keyboard can have the action and touch of the real thing, surely a digital piano is better than no piano.

http://www.chamberlainmusic.com/ProductDet...roductID=DGX620

as it happens, my doors are wide enough to get a piano on.... There was a guy who used to have a couple of pianos on his boat... but that was about all he had! :angry:

as it happens, my doors are wide enough to get a piano on....

Ah, but how easily can you lift floorboards to remove or reposition ballast?

There was a guy who used to have a couple of pianos on his boat... but that was about all he had!

I suppose if you had two, one each side, that would get around the trim issue.

Could also bridge planks across the keyboards for a bed I suppose.

Reminds me of a pic I once saw, could have been an album cover, think it was Rick Wakeman, playing one set of keyboards with his hands and the opposite bank with his feet.

Reminds me of a pic I once saw, could have been an album cover, think it was Rick Wakeman, playing one set of keyboards with his hands and the opposite bank with his feet.

And who remembers Winifred Attwell with her 2nd, "other piano", on which she used to turn and play honky-tonk. I seem to remember all the hammers had drawing pins in them to produce that jangly sound.

Sorry if this is too far back in the mists of time for most of you! Speaking of which I was at a Rotary Conference last weekend in Bournmouth where the entertainment was the "Batchelors"! - the elder of the Clusky brothers is 74 and still gigging - amazing.

Regards

David

Speaking of which I was at a Rotary Conference last weekend in Bournmouth where the entertainment was the "Batchelors"! - the elder of the Clusky brothers is 74 and still gigging - amazing.

Personally, I think I always prefered the Barron Knights parody of the Batchelors to the real thing......

Mind you, they are still playing too, aren't they, and can't be a lot younger !........

Edited by alan_fincher

When the Yamaha DGX505 was discontinued in favour of the 620 ( which wasn't even in the country at the time ! ) I found a dealer with a small supply of 505s and got one for about half price.!! I love it! You don't HAVE to have it on the stand.

YamahaDGX-505.jpg

If you are REALLY stuck for space, look here http://www.melodyrolluppiano.com/61key.htm ...a roll-up keyboard !! ( Don't miss the demo video!! )

Dick :angry:

• 2 months later...
And who remembers Winifred Attwell with her 2nd, "other piano", on which she used to turn and play honky-tonk. I seem to remember all the hammers had drawing pins in them to produce that jangly sound.

Sorry if this is too far back in the mists of time for most of you! Speaking of which I was at a Rotary Conference last weekend in Bournmouth where the entertainment was the "Batchelors"! - the elder of the Clusky brothers is 74 and still gigging - amazing.

Regards

David

How do electronic pianos work with tuning? How would they survive the conditions of a narrowboat? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Edited by Bones