Autherley Junction to Stourport

Jo_

Featured Posts

Anyone got recent good experience to share on Bratch/Wombourne overnight mooring? We're heading down to Stourport with friends in their boat. Reckon on getting to the top of Bratch Locks tomorrow afternoon. There are visitor moorings I know - are these o.k. and good? We don't need any services but we would probably walk to The Round Oak (though a local says The Mount Pleasant up the road from The Round Oak is better).

And, while I'm at it, what's a good place to moor up overnight between Kinver and Kidderminster. Won't need anything at all - just lovely countryside!!

At Stourport, I think we can visitor moor in the Upper Basin?

I'd be v grateful for all help and advice. Not done this stretch before and I've done a CWDF search but all the info is a year or more old. Planning is my responsibiity so anything you can all do to make me look good would be terrific! (none of them read CWDF so I'm safe!!)

Jo

We were down that way at the start of the month. I'm always amazed at how nice that bit of canal is given that it is but a spit and a stride from the middle of Wolverhampton.

There are moorings on the towpath above the Bratch and space for a boat or two on the offside below.

Beyond Kinver there is a nice mooring at the Staffs/Worcs border between bridges 26 and 25. We tied up for the night on the mooring just short of Debdale lock. Very quiet, apart from the church bells!

We've been to Stourport a couple of times but I've never quite worked out where the visitor moorings in the basin are. A better plan is to moor on the (5 day?) moorings just above York St lock. Very handy for the Hollybush in Mitton St too.

Other moorings are available! Enjoy biggrin.png

SAM

Ryde

IOW

ETA The Stourport bit.

Edited by Victor Vectis

When we last went to Stourport we found visitor moorings just after the water point which is on the left in front of the chandlers (carry straight on when you come out of the lock and under the bridge and you will see the chandlers on the left. I think there is probably only room for 2 boats there dependant on size. I don't know where or if there are any more in the basin or not so it might be worth poking your nose over the bridge before you go through the lock to check is they are available.

I will confirm Victor Vectis' views on moorings - we will head down to Stouton Junction for a weekend out and there are so many truly beautiful moorings along the canal and we have never been aware of any problems anywhere along that stretch - I would just be a little more choosy if you plan to overnight in Kiddiminster

Lots of good moorings. I've left the boat safely above Bratch locks, and the offside below is nice as well. I would moor at Wolverley rather than Kidderminster - there have been stories of trouble, though last time I came through there were boats outside Sainsbury's which looked as though they had been there for a few days OK.

Richard

You are all so good. Thank you so much for the information and experience; it makes planning the next couple of days (allowing for gales!) much easier. Since your replies were coming in as we were eating this evening, I told them it was you all and not me that had the information. That impressed them!!

Now they want a CWDF answer to what was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread. rolleyes.gif

Jo

Both boats happily moored in gorgeous evening sunshine on visitor moorings at top of Bratch Locks. Went to see Lockie - Mark. He's off tomorrow but Mark will be there (I asked if C&RT only have one name badge!). Reported offside ground paddle at Wightwick Mill Lock broken. Thanks again for advice.

We are in Stourport - last night and tonight. Good mooring in York Street before the lock as Victor Vetis suggested. There are a couple of visitor moorings below the lock on the left just past the pump-out, elsan, rubbish point. Also diesel at 90p on the opposite side. So all very convenient for tomorrow morning when we go through the lock, get everything sorted and do a turn around and head back up the S&W to Stourbridge.

Also, for other visitors, the Amaste Indian Restaurant right by the York Street Lock was terrific - great food, beautifully presented and obviously a popular eatery with locals. Today - Sunday - we went to the Windlass Restaurant/Cafe just down over the basins towards the river. Scott - whom I saw yesterday - said he did Sunday lunch and if we booked in would do roasties, yorkies and all the veg etc. with either turkey or pork. And, if we'd told him earlier we'd be in, he'd have made us an apple pie. As it was we sticky toffee pudding. Great meal!! The Golden something Chinese Restaurant just up round the corner in the High Street is also apparently v good and the Blossom Tea Rooms on York Street lock does great afternoon teas etc.

Big permanent fairground but well away from us so no noise getting as far as our moorings. Really pretty area where the canal joins the river and the Tontine is now ritzy apartments and houses. All very well cared for and plenty to see and enjoy.