Counting down the days

p6rob

Featured Posts

After finally managing to get the engine running reasonably reliably (it gets hot but that is because the cooling is currently under specified) I'll be moving the boat out from Mercia Marina on Saturday and heading towards the towpaths of Birmingham, possibly via Calcutt boats.

Can't wait and really looking forward to making the journey but will miss the easy access to spares, gas, electric and helpful, friendly people at Mercia, if it was more useful for work I'd probably stay there.

I've got a couple of questions before we go unintentionally upsetting fellow boaters:

How can you tell if you're travelling too fast past moored boats? So far, trial runs have been sedate affairs, I haven't noticed any glares as we've passed by but did wonder if we were going too fast. At the moment tickover is a bit higher than it should be when the engine is warm.

The engine still produces a bit of smoke. I'm not sure whether it's blue or black at the moment. If it's blue, I'm assuming it's because the engine hasn't been run in yet. The timing still isn't 100%, hence the possible trip to Calcutt.

How do you adjust the morse control? I've noticed that at full revs, the throw is too long and consequently bends the lever on the injector pump. I know it won't ever run at full tilt but would like to have more accurate control if possible.

Is it obvious where you can and can't moor up? If there's no signs to say you can't, does that automatically mean you can?

A friend suggested getting L plates, is that a good idea?

Apart from what's on the licence disks, I've noticed there is only one number plate on the boat and no name. Do I need to do anything about that?

Before we set off are there any pearls of wisdom that will help? Before this trip, I've only ever opened and closed a pair of locks about three years ago. I don't remember it being particularly difficult but this journey involves swing bridges and locks requiring keys apparently.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Hi there,

Tickover should really be the fastest you should go past moored boats but if you feel that your tickover it running to high you could ease it out of drive now and again to stop the boat going too fast. The tickover can be adjusted on the engine, just trace to where the morse cable leads to the engine where there is usually a screw that can be adjusted, just watch the the effect the morse lever has on the engine end to work out whether to loosen or tighten the screw

<snip>

How can you tell if you're travelling too fast past moored boats? So far, trial runs have been sedate affairs, I haven't noticed any glares as we've passed by but did wonder if we were going too fast. At the moment tickover is a bit higher than it should be when the engine is warm.

Is it obvious where you can and can't moor up? If there's no signs to say you can't, does that automatically mean you can?

A friend suggested getting L plates, is that a good idea?

Apart from what's on the licence disks, I've noticed there is only one number plate on the boat and no name. Do I need to do anything about that?

Best of luck, first off!

Others will be along shortly about the techie stuff, but to pick up on three of your queries:

1) If the boats you pass don't move on their lines, you're OK. If they do move and you are at tickover, there's nothing more you can do until you get the throttle sorted. We boat with a GPS on the slide in front of us (yes, we're sad bastards, I know) and avoid going over 2 mph on narrow canals. On deeper water you just have to watch your effect on the moored boats.

2) On CRT waters, no signage = 14 day mooring if you can get in.

3) You are supposed to display name and number in such a way that they can be seen from both sides, usually by having one of each on each side. In practice, CRT only seems to worry about the number these days, but showing a name is friendly, like.

HTH