Battery Charger Recommendations, Please

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

14.8v with temperature compensation. If it gets really hot on the boat in summer and I can hear the fan running constantly I switch it off.

If it's just charging from a shoreline for open leisure batts I'd knock it down to 14.4V or less. Even charging from a genny or alt, there's no guarantee that the higher charge voltage/current gives a worthwhile gain in charge return as opposed to heat, gassing, and wear and tear.

cheers, Pete.

~Pete~

If it's just charging from a shoreline for open leisure batts I'd knock it down to 14.4V or less. Even charging from a genny or alt, there's no guarantee that the higher charge voltage/current gives a worthwhile gain in charge return as opposed to heat, gassing, and wear and tear.

cheers, Pete.

~Pete~

I thought that the higher charge voltages reduced sulphation of the plates? (i.e. isn't it actually good for the batteries?)

Why do the manufacturers have options for charge voltages settings up to 14.8v (for wet-lead/acid batteries) if there's no point? I think all the decent quality multi-stage chargers go up to 14.8v. I heard some people charge their batteries up to 16v for short periods - I'm sure Gibbo said something about this once?

Edited by blackrose