Southern Staffs & Worcs

Philip

Featured Posts

We've hired a boat from Norbury Wharf Narrowboats (Norbury Junction), with the trip being in December. It's basically 4 full days (Fri night-Weds morning) and we're planning on getting as far down the Staffs and Worcester canal as we can.

We've checked the stoppages on the BW site and by the time we go away, it'll all be open for the Christmas break again (barring any emergency repair work). It's December 15th-20th and basically we're planning on setting off each day when it's light enough and stopping when it goes dark (and allowing for a quick lunch stop).

We're not going to touch the northern section as we've done that a few times before and we know it's roughly anywhere between 5-6 hours from Norbury to Autherley.

This is all subject to the weather of course, but how far down would we be able to get in 4 full days in mid-December, starting from Norbury? Would it be possible to reach Stourport?

As well as that, are there any particular places along the southern S&W which are good places to stop for the night, or to avoid?

Thanks

This is all subject to the weather of course, but how far down would we be able to get in 4 full days in mid-December, starting from Norbury? Would it be possible to reach Stourport?

In mid-December, you are unlikely to have more than 8 hours of daylight (say 8.00am to 4.00pm). At 3 locks/miles per hour that's about 24 lock/miles per day. You will have around 30 hours of cruising time of which 10/12 will be taken for the trip from Norbury to Autherley and back, leaving you about 20 hours on the S&W or 60 lock miles. The trip from Autherley to Stourport and back is 126 lock/miles. So the answer to your second question is a resounding No.

In the time available, you could just make it to Stourton Junction (31 lock/miles each way) where you can turn the boat. There are plenty of canalside pubs on the stretch from Autherley to Stourton and you should have no trouble finding reasonable moorings. You will need to walk down from Stourton Junction to Stewponey Lock for the pub but it's not too far (unless it's raining very hard!).

Hi Philip

If you can squeeze in an hour's cruising on the Friday night and the Wednesday Morning, you might just about make Stourton Junction and back in daylight. There are several pubs in that route that might make you want to stop earlier: see Nick's CanalPlan AC

OTOH why the rush? Enjoy slowing down :angry:

If you like Chinese food the Chinese at Compton does a good all-you-can eat on Monday Nights

I expect others have replied by now so I'll leave it at that for the moment.

Thanks both.

Paul, we'd like to get to Wolverley if possible and I believe there are two winding holes, above Wolverley Lock and below Kidderminster Lock. However, having seen the mileage/lock mileage hours available, it's too far out of reach unfortunately.

We've booked it for a week (very good price it was), but we can't have the full week because of other events taking place at the end of the week. We might be able to stretch to 5 days and if so, would that be enough time to get to Wolverley and back?

John, that's our main aim, just to enjoy it at that time of year and even without experiencing it, I can imagine that 8 hours non-stop on a very cold and wet December day wouldn't be pleasant. As well as Compton, are there any good pubs in the Swindon/Wombourn areas (as either are likely to be our Saturday night stop)?

Edit - does anyone know what time Bratch locks are open in the winter season? We went there a month ago and they had opening times.

Edited by Philip

Yes if you want to cruise every minute whatever the weather, without stopping for lunch, you could make Wolverley in 5 days. (I remember when stopping was against my religion too!)

For Saturday Night I could recommend the Mermaid at Wightwick Bridge 56. You'll never make Swindon.

According to Waterscape.com, "Bratch Locks are generally open during daylight hours only, and passage is assisted by a lock-keeper." I have been through single-handed without a lock-keeper though in the winter.

Yes if you want to cruise every minute whatever the weather, without stopping for lunch, you could make Wolverley in 5 days. (I remember when stopping was against my religion too!)

For Saturday Night I could recommend the Mermaid at Wightwick Bridge 56. You'll never make Swindon.

According to Waterscape.com, "Bratch Locks are generally open during daylight hours only, and passage is assisted by a lock-keeper." I have been through single-handed without a lock-keeper though in the winter.

Cheers

We're not going to be boating at night as it's against the hiring regulations, but basically we can turn up at whatever time in the day, without the risk of the gates being chained, or the paddles locked?

We've never stopped at Wightwick, though years ago when we went through, it looked a nice enough place, so we'll give it a try.

If we're lucky, we might get to Wheaton Aston on Friday night (if we're setting off from Norbury no later that 2:00pm). Have you tried the Hartley Arms and if so, is it a good place to eat out at?

If we're lucky, we might get to Wheaton Aston on Friday night (if we're setting off from Norbury no later that 2:00pm). Have you tried the Hartley Arms and if so, is it a good place to eat out at?

The Hartley Arms is excellent value for money in our experience - we usually try to stop there to eat. Beer is good too.

If you get that far on Friday you might get further than the Mermaid on Saturday!

Edited by Big John

Thanks both.

We've checked it and the stoppages are lifted on 15th December - the day we set off, so it's it's looking alright, unless some emergency repair work takes place, in case of a breach or something.

If we end up having 5/6 days and reach Stourport, we'll be aware that the water level will be low in the basin, I think it's still navigable - not totally sure though.

http://www.waterscape.com/boating/stoppage...Find+Stoppages+

I'm doing that same trip, albeit a little bit later as we are leaving on Boxing day and we're only going as far as Kinver. I have come up from Stourport to Norbury in three days without too much hassle. But I dont mind moving when its dark, in fact I like cruising when its dark, particularly early in the morning during the winter.

Will be Hunky Dorys maiden voyage after her re-fit :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing that same trip, albeit a little bit later as we are leaving on Boxing day and we're only going as far as Kinver. I have come up from Stourport to Norbury in three days without too much hassle. But I dont mind moving when its dark, in fact I like cruising when its dark, particularly early in the morning during the winter.

Will be Hunky Dorys maiden voyage after her re-fit :blush:

We have 5 full days now to do the trip in - we'd really like to get to Stourport and complete the full length of the Staffs and Worcester in 2006 (we did the northern section as part of the 4 counties ring in April). If we can't get that far, then Wolverley preferably, because after Wolverley you approach Kidderminster I think.

It's a risk going at this time of year, as we could get iced in, the weather could end up being truly awful like it's been today but colder. Daylight won't be an advantage to us, but I can't imagine there being any queues at that time of year.

We're probably going to have to stay at Norbury on the first night, do you know how the Junction has been recently? We last had a meal there in June and the less said about it the better. Has it improved since, or are we better putting our walking boots on and walking down to the Navigation, or the Boat Inn at Gnosall?

We're probably going to have to stay at Norbury on the first night, do you know how the Junction has been recently? We last had a meal there in June and the less said about it the better. Has it improved since, or are we better putting our walking boots on and walking down to the Navigation, or the Boat Inn at Gnosall?

" The Boat Inn was very nice last month- Also, The Hartley Arms had a lovely selection of ales and a generous sized, nicely cooked lunch menu. I'd stop there again in a heartbeat. Only bad thing was trying to find a decent mooring at either."

Steve

We have 5 full days now to do the trip in - we'd really like to get to Stourport and complete the full length of the Staffs and Worcester in 2006 (we did the northern section as part of the 4 counties ring in April). If we can't get that far, then Wolverley preferably, because after Wolverley you approach Kidderminster I think.

It's a risk going at this time of year, as we could get iced in, the weather could end up being truly awful like it's been today but colder. Daylight won't be an advantage to us, but I can't imagine there being any queues at that time of year.

Yes well, move on to the Navigation or the Boat at Gnosall. Norbury's nice but the pub is quite frankly crap. If you take some supplies stop at the Anchor about a mile and a half before Norbury coming south. They dont do food though.

" The Boat Inn was very nice last month- Also, The Hartley Arms had a lovely selection of ales and a generous sized, nicely cooked lunch menu. I'd stop there again in a heartbeat. Only bad thing was trying to find a decent mooring at either."

Steve

I remember when we went in The Boat Inn 3 years ago, it was very good value - basic menu, but the food was good enough, good, cheap bar meals. I've heard that it doesn't serve food in some months though?

Yes well, move on to the Navigation or the Boat at Gnosall. Norbury's nice but the pub is quite frankly crap. If you take some supplies stop at the Anchor about a mile and a half before Norbury coming south. They dont do food though.

Cheers, we have been in a couple of times, one time as recent as 4 years ago. They had toasties and pies I think at that point, but it was the character of the place which made it a good experience.

The Hartley Arms will be our target if possible, but if not - is the Navigation a good pub? We went in once in 1995 (after carrying on past Norbury on that occasion) - wasn't impressive, but then heavy rain had caused the kitchen to flood and it was all chaotic. Plus I assume it will have changed somewhat in 11 years.

Edited by Philip