Stoppages

dor

Featured Posts

Although I've not seen the winter stoppage program yet, it appears that the stoppages for specific canals have been loaded onto the Waterscape Stoppages information. So you can see what is currently planned by canal.

Of course, they mat revise some of these in view of DEFRA's cuts.......

Although I've not seen the winter stoppage program yet, it appears that the stoppages for specific canals have been loaded onto the Waterscape Stoppages information. So you can see what is currently planned by canal.

Of course, they mat revise some of these in view of DEFRA's cuts.......

Link

Does appear to be quite a few in Northwest, but I've not read it properly yet.

the stoppage on the rufford branch last year must have been a waste of time from what i seen yesterday.

low water levels on this end of the leeds and liverpool and yet the locks are letting plenty of water leak down the rufford branch ,presumably to end up going out to the ribble.

the reeds are growing almost across the canal in places and surely they could have been managed while the canal was drained during last years stoppage.

trees growing out of the bankside are left until they grow so much the towpath is lifted by the root growth and what should have been a minor pruning job is now a very expensive repair to the canal wall and the towpath.

i wonder if it is not time bw were forced to put ongoing repair and maintenence work out to tender,are the workforce they employ value for money and are they motivated to do the jobs.

each trip i go on i see obvious jobs that if done sooner rather than later would benefit us all in the long run and i wonder why things are not sorted.

i read that certain lenghts are patrolled and inspected by bw staff and if that is the case why are the problems not reported and acted on,statements by bw that they spend such an amount keeping certain lengths clear of debri cant in my veiw be right.

last summer i reported that the roof of a factory being demolished was being transferred into the canal at an alarming rate,huge 30 foot by 3 foot sheets of tin profile sheets sprayed with 3 inches of sprayfoam were being used as rafts after being put in the water by kids.

this summer them sheets are still floating around the canal and some of them that have lost the foam are submerged fully or partially and a nuisance to unwary boaters,now if or when a kid drowns while playing on them they will be removed,why have they not been moved before.

i gave bw the location they came from and the contact details to get the cost of the works back, maybe through legal action so why no action.

anyway i might be ranting on but someone is not moving their arse enough and it is not right,my next step on this the council to ask what they can do about the derilect factory and or bw,s lack of action/effort.

crowd of monkeys the lot of them.

My plans to move 'ELEMIAH' down to Lechlade in Nov have had to be shelved due to major stoppages along the length of the southern Oxford :blush: . I will have to keep my fingers crossed that the work is complete and the weather OK for mid Dec - I've got to get to Lechlade I've a New Years Eve cruise planned!! :P . Anyone available to help crew?