moorings

fizz12

Featured Posts

hi

we live on a 57 foot narrow boat and was hoping to find work in the reading area, my hubby is a sous chef, so work looks good for him in that area, is there any moorings at all, long term live aboard in reading area or at least within 20 miles of reading i keep scanning the internet but all i find is really dear marinas equating to over 4000 per annum, anyone know of any reasonable marinas or farm moorings or any kind of moorings, if we cant find anything we will probably be looking at derbyshire, nottinghamshire way, but jobs are not so flush that way

This threadwill give you some information on how to work in Reading if you cant find a permanent mooring. Good luck on finding work :)

Dean, you missed the point,you can't go up and down from Reading, only down, so if the OP wants to stay within 20 miles they can only go 20 miles down the K&A and then back again. Otherwise they have to go out on the Thames and find a mooring and just think what that has been like this winter.

Dean, you missed the point,you can't go up and down from Reading, only down, so if the OP wants to stay within 20 miles they can only go 20 miles down the K&A and then back again. Otherwise they have to go out on the Thames and find a mooring and just think what that has been like this winter.

I'm not local in the area....but those who are, I'm sure, will help them to find a way, so the poor guy can actually get a job in a town that needs him (without having to sell up or move elsewhere)

If CRT have available on line moorings for them, great.

Edited by DeanS

Yello,

£4000 plus is about on the money the that kind of area ..... unfortunately if you work down south, you pay the down south cost of living to .... but then again earn down south money.

Wishing you luck ... but it ain't easy finding a residential mooring at the best of times. Let alone a cheap one. There's the odd one or two but they tend to be occupied for a long time by each tenant.

Malc.

hi

we live on a 57 foot narrow boat and was hoping to find work in the reading area, my hubby is a sous chef, so work looks good for him in that area, is there any moorings at all, long term live aboard in reading area or at least within 20 miles of reading i keep scanning the internet but all i find is really dear marinas equating to over 4000 per annum, anyone know of any reasonable marinas or farm moorings or any kind of moorings, if we cant find anything we will probably be looking at derbyshire, nottinghamshire way, but jobs are not so flush that way

I'd suggest the K&A, there are marina moorings at Frouds Bridge, Burfield Island and Newbury, all within 20 miles of Reading. You would be looking around the £2400 mark per year, none are strictly residential but all to my knowledge do have a number of residental boaters. There are also on line moorings at Aldermaston run by ABC leisure and also some at Tyle Mill, farmers end of garden I think.

Access to Reading is good either by train or the A4 runs parallel to the river.

Good Luck

Ken

For balance, I'd point out that I did quite a bit of research last autumn trying to find a new mooring for Aldebaran anywhere on the Kennet between Reading and Newbury, or possibly beyond. There were very few options.

Admittiedly Aldebaran is 68ft but I was only able to turn up two vacant moorings, one in a small marina at Newbury for £3k a year where they made it VERY clear it was non-residential, and the other at Aldermaston, administered by a bloke I do not get on with so I took it no further. The Aldermaston mooring may well still be available. Other moorers there certainly live aboard so this might suit the OP well.

Frouds Bridge was full, and again, fiercely non-resi. The Tyle Mill moorings are CRT and full, unless you mean another site there I missed!

I eventually took a non-resi on-line mooring near Cropredy on the Oxford, for £2.4k a year.

MtB