fmc kingsdown what is its real name

josiejo

Featured Posts

hi pete wakeham has the fmc butty kingsdown back at denham deep and he wants to know what its real name is.he knows its not kingsdown aka kingstown as that was birchills aka kerry which was shortened. and this braithwait and kirk butty is still full length.it is said it was the upwood which he douts. does anyone know. posted for pete wakeham.thanks jo.

hi pete wakeham has the fmc butty kingsdown back at denham deep and he wants to know what its real name is.he knows its not kingsdown aka kingstown as that was birchills aka kerry which was shortened. and this braithwait and kirk butty is still full length.it is said it was the upwood which he douts. does anyone know. posted for pete wakeham.thanks jo.

AM Models website states that UPWOOD is the boat that became KERRY (later renamed KINGSDOWN - P.J.H.) but I can not comment on how this has been researched. My own research states that UPWOOD was documented by 'British Waterways' as being scuttled at Hawtreys Pit, Harefield in March 1956 (I am the guardian of the original 'British Waterways' documentation) - and its remains were photographed there by researching enthusiasts in 1961.

The boat named KINGSDOWN (formally named KERRY in error) came out of trade in 1974/75 having being purchased from Alan "Caggy" Stevens, Oldbury, and previously owned by Ernest Thomas, Walsall. By the time it came out of trade it had lost its original identity and was subsequently named KERRY in error. The current owner will already know that this boat was renamed KINGSDOWN in the 1990's.

edit - spelling and additional detail

Edited by pete harrison

Sadly "Upwood" is still buried at the moment. Along with 10 other composite and seven wooden FMC horse boats / butty's they lie as they were put in Hawtreys pit. This is the fishery behind Harefield marina and now not connected to the marina or canal. Much research has been carried out on this site and all boats bar one wide boat remain where they were placed and sunk.

Picture shows enlargement of the name strake.

gallery_5000_522_236208.jpg

I believe you asked this question back in August.

One of those as yet undiscovered facts. Something maybe Ernie Thomas or maybe Alan Stevens would have been able to supply, but without such personal statements available, and without certain documentation available and connecting evidence in the way of numbers affixed to the hull, there may be no way of being certain which boat it is though it can be narrowed down through elimination of those other Braithwaite & Kirk boats extant, or when they were disposed of. We had YARMOUTH for a number of years, but could never prove it WAS Yarmouth.

Regards to Roger and Fran.

Derek & Louise.

Another link.

Edited by Derek R.

So presumably Peter (or Roger) Wakeham still own KINGSDOWN. A previous thread suggested the family had sold this boat to "Phil".

I thought he bought it from Phil.

ETA thinking about it again, it was on the bank at Cassio when it was sold (without bottom) - further details of which I think you might know. It went to Phil where it sat on the bank for a while and I think he then sold it back to Roger/Peter (still possibly without bottom).

Edited by Speedwheel