Crossing the Mersey, Liverpool to Ellesmere Port

The Hunky Dory

Featured Posts

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We're aiming for Liverpool early next May, and I was thinking of crossing the Mersey to Ellesmere Port around 8th May, rather than returning via the L&L. I'll only do it with one or more other boats, so is anyone interested, or can you offer any advice on who to ask (boat clubs etc)?

Are you still crossing at this time. Provided I can pass the survey I am aiming for a crossing about 7th May.

Someone else sent me an email aabout this, also crossing about this time butI have lost the email address. Can't remember who it was but if you are crossing please get in touch.

Anyone else?

Are you still crossing at this time. Provided I can pass the survey I am aiming for a crossing about 7th May.

Someone else sent me an email aabout this, also crossing about this time butI have lost the email address. Can't remember who it was but if you are crossing please get in touch.

Anyone else?

Did you notice whether their boat name was The Royal Iris......?

There is an annual Manchester ship canal trip if you can link to that.

Yes, she has been commissioned to travel along the calmer waters after years of ferrying across the Mersey and helping evacuate our troops from Dunkerque no less. Both me and my elder brother travelled on her many times during our younger days.

I do not seem to be finding anyone crossing at this time. I would prefer going with another boat will do it on my own. But it means I could defer until the next neaps. So is anyone crossing mid May. Then where do I hang about before going down the link. Anywhere recommended with a good pub (beer, wifi and folk music?). My other consideration is that I would only have a brief stop at the Anchor if I am to make Pelsall Festival, which I've already paid for. Being half Yorkie and half Scot missing that isn't allowed/

Yes, she has been commissioned to travel along the calmer waters after years of ferrying across the Mersey and helping evacuate our troops from Dunkerque no less. Both me and my elder brother travelled on her many times during our younger days.

I think that was the original Royal Iris, the current one replaced her and is called Royal Iris II.

I think that was the original Royal Iris, the current one replaced her and is called Royal Iris II.

Yes, I think you're right.

Whichever one it was, I remember one episode of Candid Camera where the eccentric known as Jonathan Routh joined a group of burley ship workers heading across the Mersey to the Cammil Lairds ship yards and asking one of them why he was emigrating to Canada?

Bang! The worker simply punched him in response without further ado. Tact and diplomacy were never high on the list of principles when I lived there either.

Good luck with your proposed crossing Colin and watch out for anyone holding a clip board and a microphone concealed up their sleeve on the dock side. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Royal Iris was never at Dunkerque, but the first IRIS was at Zeebrugge in the first world war, and was renamed Royal Iris in recognition of the service there.

The Royal Iris was never at Dunkerque, but the first IRIS was at Zeebrugge in the first world war, and was renamed Royal Iris in recognition of the service there.

Thanks for clarifying that. It must have been distorted along the way to becoming an urban myth.

• 2 months later...