FMC Butties

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

As Mr Pink has stated people do make mistakes, but unusually in this case it was the painter. All F.M.C. Ltd. records show AVON to be fleet numbered as 51, and the second of their fleet to carry that fleet number. AVON 51 was acquired in 1902 and disposed of in 1917 and for all but the last three years (1914 - 1917) the fleet number 50 was in continuous use on another boat.

Out of interest which Alan Faulkner books are you referring to ? As far as I am aware F.M.C. Ltd. horse boat and butty fleet numbers appear in very few publications, the most comprehensive possibly appearing in NarrowBoat magazine Spring 2007 and Summer 2007 editions - although these only include boats joining the fleet from 1900 onwards. The lists published in NarrowBoat magazine were based on a combination of records held by both Mr Faulkner and myself.

My only printed reference I have to hand is Alan Faulkners book 'A History of Fellows Morton & Clayton Ltd' published by Robert Wilson, 2010 Edition

Tim

My only printed reference I have to hand is Alan Faulkners book 'A History of Fellows Morton & Clayton Ltd' published by Robert Wilson, 2010 Edition

Tim

I have not seen this book, although I imagine any fleet list within it will be pretty much based on the one we prepared for the NarrowBoat magazine in 2007.

If its just a reprint then it will have the lists compiled in the 80's (I think) for the original edition.

Having thumbed through one and put it back it seemed to be the original combined with the Narrowboat articles and a few more pics, better than the first but nothing fresh to me.

If its just a reprint then it will have the lists compiled in the 80's (I think) for the original edition.

The first booklet entitled "FMC" was published by Alan H. Faulkner / Robert Wilson in 1975. The fleet list in the rear section of the booklet only covered motors and steamers with the only buttys listed being those that were sold to 'British Waterways' in 1949. As I have not seen the more recent edition I am unable to comment on its content.

:lol: brilliant, I hadnt noticed the little boys face 'photobombing' the original and thought you'd 'enhanced' it but its from the original isnt it? I think the quality of the image is stunning especially when you consider the age of it.

Merry Xmas

:cheers: