Forget-me-not

Terence

Featured Posts

Didn't Tony Lewery paint F-M-N at one point?

I know of three backcabin tables all reputedly from F-M-N such is the temporary nature of a backcabin fitout.

Carlt will probably know

Yes I do, unfortunately I don't have sufficient evidence to point an accusatory finger on here.

I know he painted the window shutters on the pair but the cabin doors and table board were taken whilst the boat was sunk at Cropredy, about 15 years ago, so I never got a chance to study them closely.

The roses certainly look the same as those on the shutters though.

Screwdriver?

I know the owner of that screwdriver. ;)

Interestingly I thought the cabin doors, table board and Elum all went their separate ways as soon as they were removed so I'm surprised to see two of them together, this far into the future.

Didn't Tony Lewery paint F-M-N at one point?

I know of three backcabin tables all reputedly from F-M-N such is the temporary nature of a backcabin fitout.

Yes, Tony did but I don't think that is his work. Edit - the roses look more like his than the castles.

Those doors would be from when we rebuilt the boat and made the back cabin closer to conventional height - as seen in the sales leaflet in the ebay ad.

The original Tooley conversion continued at full height right to the back. The very tall doors which were removed then were kicking around here for years, I think they've gone now though, they would have had AJ's artwork.

I'm trying to remember whether the back cabin, such as it was, ever had a table fall. It was very short, not much more than a folding cross-bed and a wash basin. I suspect the 'original' cabin didn't, maybe the rebuilt version had one squeezed in. Edit - in either case, I'm sure the table would have been much narrower than standard.

The window panels were painted and repainted by all sorts of people over the years, there would have been an assortment on any of the boats at any given time.

Edit to add that I can't comment on what happened (to the paintwork) after the boats left here, they did continue in Hotel Boat service for a little while.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

The plot thickens.

I've done some research in the archives.

When we did the rebuild, in 1978/9, the original cabin doors were retained:-

FMN-4.jpg

Here's Alan Brindle decorating the new cabin sides. Close inspection shows that the roses on the doors are in the process of being repainted, but the castles are not:-

FMN-5.jpg

These are almost certainly Tony Lewery's castles.

Neither roses nor castles are the same as the ones on the doors being sold on ebay.

I suspect they were painted during the time when Tim Carter was running the boats, after they left here.

Here's a pic to indicate the extent of the work we did that year:-

FMN-7.jpg

A complete new fore-end, to match the motor boat, having scrapped the ugly and rotten old one, plus most of the Port side right through to the stern.

Here's the finished product, setting off on the first trip of the season, with Peter Froud taking a proprietorial eye:-

FMN-6.jpg

$Edit - this is how the stern looked before we started, the end of the previous season:-

FMN-3.jpg

Final edit - it's quite likely that the doors were renewed at Dutton after this work, it was circa 1985 or 86 when the boats finally left and I did think that the old doors which were cluttering up the place for years had come from Forget-me-Not. If that is the case, then Alan Brindle is still in contention as the painter. Anyone who really wants to know could always ask the painters themselves ;)

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I've just spoken to Tony Lewery and he has confirmed they are both his work.

Forget-me-nottable.jpg

Forget-me-notCabindoors.jpg

Terence

Interesting.

The table looks immediately like Tony's work - I hadn't seen that - but the castles on the doors seemed somehow not to fit.

Tim