Maximum amount of passengers

mikevye

Featured Posts

We have decided to hire a 69'0" eight berth narrowboat and as part of my birthday celebrations have a few friends onboard for an afternoon cruise and evening meal at a canal side hostelry.Would forum members know of a safe number of people to invite given the size of the boat and that trip boats of this size regularly carry thirty plus passengers?

We have decided to hire a 69'0" eight berth narrowboat and as part of my birthday celebrations have a few friends onboard for an afternoon cruise and evening meal at a canal side hostelry.Would forum members know of a safe number of people to invite given the size of the boat and that trip boats of this size regularly carry thirty plus passengers?

the builder's plate should specify the maximum number of passengers. the hire company should know this figure.

The regulations changed for all this a few years ago, I have in the past taken as many as 20 passengers on my 50ft boat (works do') but the last time I did it I was told that I was limited to 12 passengers plus crew.

It is not just the insurance companies rules, it seems above 12 people you run into Board of Trade regulations with all that that entails.

You can get an extra 2 or 3 by enlisting them as 'crew'.

The plate on my 60 footer states a maximum number of six people when underway.

I have never understood this figure as I often see hire boats of a similar size with 8-10 people on board.

There is nothing (that I am aware of) that states the maximum load I can carry while underway, for example, what if I wanted to carry 10 ton of coal ??

Strange!!

And plenty of older boats (ie. no RCD'ed) dont have any such plate or measurements!

The BSS inspection does use the number of "berths" to calculate the air flow requirements for gas/stove usage though.

And plenty of older boats (ie. no RCD'ed) dont have any such plate or measurements!

The BSS inspection does use the number of "berths" to calculate the air flow requirements for gas/stove usage though.

That's a good point but the safety scheme thing should only apply to sleeping accommodation. We can bet though that someone will try to use that certification for something it was not designed for.

There is a short article in the latest Canal Boat about some recent problems with dayboats and proposed new regulation, but perhaps that is not before time, we have all seen some accidents waiting to occur, five people inside and four big chaps on the roof, beer cans in hand.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi

As has been stated the hire company will have their own limit for the boat hired, this will be for insurance purposes.

If you had a mishap however minor then you would probably not be covered in any way what so ever.

I expect the limit for a eight berth boat will be eight.

Not with standing that as has been already mentioned as soon as the number exceeds twelve then a qualification is required and proof of exams passed.

Nearly forgot 10.gif when it arrives :angry:

Hi

As has been stated the hire company will have their own limit for the boat hired, this will be for insurance purposes.

If you had a mishap however minor then you would probably not be covered in any way what so ever.

I expect the limit for a eight berth boat will be eight.

Not with standing that as has been already mentioned as soon as the number exceeds twelve then a qualification is required and proof of exams passed.

ferzackerly

Good job we're at top lock training on the 29th of August! After ten years holidaying we are taking the ownership plunge and decided to ratify what we think we know into something more substantial by way of confirmation from someone we believe to be a top gun. Thanks bottle for your birthday wishes. Further thanks for the advice received so far from all.

Mikevye

As bottle suggests you will need to confirm this with the hire company. I would suspect 8 will be the maximum due to the stability testing and insurance.

On our booking form hirers sign to say that they must not carry any other passengers than those listed on the booking form. This is due to our insurance policy.

If Hirers wish to have guests and the boat is not at full capacity (six) then i request these are added to the form.

Cheers

Just.