Replacing Thermostatic Shower Majiggey

sooz

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Just after some advice, please, before we head up to finally greet our boat properly tomorrow. To quote my own post from another thread, the problem is thus:

This one is my biggest concern. The 'mixer' shower runs at two very distinct temperatures - scalding and freezing. This is no good for the kids (or indeed me, because I'm a wimp at both extremes!). Twiddling the temperature-knob-majiggey, it's possible to find one teeny position where the water will alternate between scalding and freezing every twenty seconds or so, but to the 'red' side of this position it's just too hot and to the 'blue' too cold. Based upon this highly technical description(!) can anybody proffer a suggestion as to the cause or a remedy? I'd say the mixer is not mixing, but that is what we would call an uneducated guess! Is it a task for a plumber or an electrician?

I think we established that a new thermostatic thingy was needed, but that's where it all falls apart for me! I'm still not exactly sure what it is we are looking for - is it effectively a whole new shower? Also, I presume we are limited on what will fit the existing system? For example the cheapest (£60) one on this link suits us nicely budget-wise (we've already considerably overspent on this whole boat lark and haven't even moved ourselves onto it yet) but doesn't look at all as though it'll fit the existing system. Is that right or am I grossly underestimating what a technical bod could do?

I have attached a picture of the shower as it is. I'm afraid it's the only picture we have and was taken from the original advert. Being a couple of hundred miles away from the boat still, more detailed pictures and any measurements will have to wait until tomorrow.

Please, if I am asking for an impossible diagnosis over the web then do just tell me. I was simply hoping to be more prepared for going up tomorrow, and particularly hoping to not be without the use of a shower for too long - t'other half might be hardy but I'm a wuss and it's dangerous for the children who will be coming up with us in half term.

Any and all advice gratefully received, thank you =]

TWFshower.jpg

Tried your link but did not show me a mixer.

If you have to change mixer it is very easy looking at your picture.The unit you have looks like it is one from screwfix.Regardless where it came from it is a straight swap.

Before you change it though have you a kitchen mixer tap? This would be manual so as long as this mixes alright at all temperatures your system should be ok.

Probably something like this will do ?

This is what I have on my boat and it works well..

It may well fit onto your existing two pipes...depending on the gap.

Some of these types..have a pair of offset pipes supplied..that will allow a little bit of difference in supply pipe width..(does that make sense..?.. :unsure: )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THERMOSTATIC-CHROME-BAR-MIXER-SHOWER-VALVE-TAP-SM61-/370383481116?pt=UK_Bathroom_Mats_Rugs&hash=item563c93691c

Tried your link but did not show me a mixer.

If you have to change mixer it is very easy looking at your picture.The unit you have looks like it is one from screwfix.Regardless where it came from it is a straight swap.

Before you change it though have you a kitchen mixer tap? This would be manual so as long as this mixes alright at all temperatures your system should be ok.

Oh, that sounds promising - perhaps I am overcomplicating things? I searched for 'thermostatic mixer showers' on the B&Q website, the results of which is the link that I posted and they all look to be complete shower replacements. Apologies then for the daft question, but exactly which bit of the picture is the bit that needs changing?!

The kitchen tap is a mixer and from memory it was mixing okay, though will now be the first thing I check tomorrow!

Thank you =]

Oh, that sounds promising - perhaps I am overcomplicating things? I searched for 'thermostatic mixer showers' on the B&Q website, the results of which is the link that I posted and they all look to be complete shower replacements. Apologies then for the daft question, but exactly which bit of the picture is the bit that needs changing?!

The kitchen tap is a mixer and from memory it was mixing okay, though will now be the first thing I check tomorrow!

Thank you =]

Screwfix sell the thermo mixer part as a stand alone part -

http://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-thermostatic-mixer-shower-valve-exposed-chrome/55206

You will need to check though that the distances between the pipe centres correspond.

B&Q have a complete unit on offer for £60 - but it gets poor reviews.

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/bathrooms/showering/showers/mixer-showers/Triton-Brillio-Bar-Mixer-Shower-10757507

Martin (who has been doing extensive showere research over recnt days for home)

We bought this in the end but it is non - thermostatic.

http://secure.tritonshowers.co.uk/clearance-deals/mixer-showers/mortimer-single-lever-mixer-shower.html

Edited by The Dog House

This one is my biggest concern. The 'mixer' shower runs at two very distinct temperatures - scaleding and freezing. This is no good for the kids (or indeed me, because I'm a wimp at both extremes!). Twiddling the temperature-knob-majiggey, it's possible to find one teeny position where the water will alternate between scalding and freezing every twenty seconds or so, but to the 'red' side of this position it's just too hot and to the 'blue' too cold. Based upon this highly technical description(!) can anybody proffer a suggestion as to the cause or a remedy? I'd say the mixer is not mixing, but that is what we would call an uneducated guess! Is it a task for a plumber or an electrician?

If it's done this from new, before the old one is condemned and the new one fitted, check the hot/cold connections are the right way round! This is more or less what happens when they get swapped.

On my bar mixer, hot comes in on the left and cold on the right, I don't know if that model can be set up either way. In fact yours looks suspicious because the hose comes out of the top ;) (the hot cold pipes are the right sides but the mixer is upside down!) Try flipping it round, if it works OK take the lever off and refit that.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

The mixer tap will not give you a balanced shower. If you have a temperature gauge on your water heater, turn it to a lower position to allow more warm water to flow. Hot water tends to cause the pump to switch on and off which is ok for the sink but awful for the shower.

The mixer tap will not give you a balanced shower. If you have a temperature gauge on your water heater, turn it to a lower position to allow more warm water to flow. Hot water tends to cause the pump to switch on and off which is ok for the sink but awful for the shower.

Has theOP told us exactly what form of water-heater is being used? Just asking 'cos I know that some thermostatic mixers don't work too well in conjunction with Paloma/Morco etc.Can you please confirm, Sooz?