Two weeks and counting

Moley

Featured Posts

So, we've got about 18 days hols coming up, starting Thursday August 10th.

Boat's not finished yet, kids will still be on air beds, but how's this lot sound?

From Kidderminster, down the Staffs & Worcs to Stourport.

From Stourport, down the Severn to Worcester.

Worcs & Brum, up Tardebigge etc. to King's Norton

Stratford on Avon canal, King's Norton to Kingswood

Grand Union through Foxton etc.

Soar Navigation, Trent etc. to Derwent Mouth

Trent & Mersey to Great Haywood

Back down the Staffs & Worcs.

Canalplan reckons that's 247 miles and 259 locks, and is do-able in 13 days at 9hrs per day.

Does that sound reasonable, anything we should look out for, ‘mustn't miss’es or ‘best avoided’s, recommended watering holes, and any other members we're likely to run into, metaphorically speaking?

Don't know Moley..................sounds a bit of a tight push to me. Mind you, depends what you want on your trip.. just to pootle along around the canal or do you want to stop and do some touristy type stuff. I like to do a bit of both and stop for an afternoon here and there. Have an impromptue lunch time session with the beer elves (yes they come in male versions too ;) ) After all its YOUR holiday so what do you want to do?

Moley

I think you are taking on too much for a shakedown cruise, I assume you have to get back to your base and if so you will not have time to do running repairs if needed or visit any towns etc that you would like to on the way. If you do have hold ups you are going to have to make the time up and that will mean 10 or more cruising hrs per day.

I would plan on 6 hrs per day and that will allow time off if you want or need it

Charles

Hi Moley

I think Charles is right, better to plan for six hours a day.

Nine does not seem a lot but you will be travelling virtually non stop.

Scenario: Set off 09:00. stop for lunch 12:00

Set off 14:00. stop for tea 17:00

Set off 18:00 stop for night 21:00

As can be seen, in this scenario, you will actually be 'travelling' 12 hours a day for forteen days.

If thats what you want good luck and don't forget to keep a diary for us. ;)

So, we've got about 18 days hols coming up, starting Thursday August 10th.

Boat's not finished yet, kids will still be on air beds, but how's this lot sound?

Canalplan reckons that's 247 miles and 259 locks, and is do-able in 13 days at 9hrs per day.

Does that sound reasonable, anything we should look out for, ‘mustn't miss’es or ‘best avoided’s, recommended watering holes, and any other members we're likely to run into, metaphorically speaking?

Moley, your kids are relatively young aren't they? Beware of making them rush through the whole thing because you want to get some miles in. I've made the mistake myself, and I've shared locks with kids run ragged by parents on a tight schedule with a planned destination - you can see they will never want to do it again. Your children may love this, and want to be working the boat until late every evening, but I reckon you should check they are happy with this schedule, and be prepared to change plans if it becomes clear that they are becoming even slightly 'off' the idea. It may be better to slow down and not go so far, and keep them on your side, otherwise you'll have a battle every time you want to go away.

You can always find places to stop, things to visit, or moor up early and go fishing.

Best regards

Catrin

Moley,

I go with the majority. 9, 10, 11, 12 hour cruising days are OK if you have a largish and energetic crew sharing all the tasks but they leave no time for the kids, shopping, sitting in the pub for 2 or 3 hours or just lazing about for a family crew. We generally plan around 6 hour days, knowing that there will be some longer ones and the occasional really short one. Leave room for the really lazy breakfast, the long lunch and the early stop for a snooze.

If this heatwave doesn't break - you'll soon get pi**ed off having to start moving at 7.00am and finding yourself looking for a mooring a 7.00pm.

How about: Kidderminster-Stourport-Birmingham-Side trip to Black Country Museum, Dudley-Birmingham-Fazeley-Fradley-Great Haywood-Kidderminster. 144 miles, 155 locks, average 6 hours per day for 13 days. That should leave time for a day at the Black Country Museum (highly recommended) and all the other things you will want to do.

Moley,

I go with the majority. 9, 10, 11, 12 hour cruising days are OK if you have a largish and energetic crew sharing all the tasks but they leave no time for the kids, shopping, sitting in the pub for 2 or 3 hours or just lazing about for a family crew. We generally plan around 6 hour days, knowing that there will be some longer ones and the occasional really short one. Leave room for the really lazy breakfast, the long lunch and the early stop for a snooze.

If this heatwave doesn't break - you'll soon get pi**ed off having to start moving at 7.00am and finding yourself looking for a mooring a 7.00pm.

How about: Kidderminster-Stourport-Birmingham-Side trip to Black Country Museum, Dudley-Birmingham-Fazeley-Fradley-Great Haywood-Kidderminster. 144 miles, 155 locks, average 6 hours per day for 13 days. That should leave time for a day at the Black Country Museum (highly recommended) and all the other things you will want to do.

Totally agree - even though the kids will have you up at the crack of dawn don't try to do too much - we've done the get woken up at 6 by the little cherub, move @ 7:30/8 moor up for lunch say 12/1 and thats it for the day - go for a wander sit in a pub and best of all you get the choice of moorings as most people will cruise starting/finishing later in the day...

If you do find you need to do a long day you can work one into the schedule - but you get so much more flexibility by not planning to do the long days in the first place and everybody gets something they want to do each day.

Simon.

Thanks for all the input folks.

I did wonder if it was feasible or biting off more than we could chew, but on our hireboat hols last year we planned a leisurely circuit of the 4 counties, planned a few stops, then found that we were actually cruising for longer each day than we expected and ended up with 4 days in hand, and the kids were fine with that schedule.

But I agree that it's one thing to plan to do 20 lock miles a day then find you're averaging 30+, but quite another to think you've got to do 30+

Will get the maps out again and have a re-think.

Paul, thanks for your suggestions. That sounds to me like a bit too much of Birmingham - then again, everything looks totally different from the waterways. Will bear that in mind or look for a compromise.

Thanks again to all,

Ade.

Yes be careful - they might not want to come with you again if you take on too much! I'm happy to cruise 9 hours a day on my own, but my 'first mate' on my recent trip had other ideas and I had to strip back the itinerary to allow some time for relaxation and preserve our friendship!

What about down the Severn to Tewkesbury, up the Avon, up the Stratford Canal and onto the G.U. at Lapworth and up to Salford Junction. Depending on your progress you could go round the BCN via the Tame Valley Canal and Wyrley and Essington before dropping back onto the Staffs and Worcs at Wolverhampton OR go up the Birmingham and Fazeley to Fradley Junction, Trent and Mersey to Haywood Junction, and get in a few circuits of Tixall Wide before continuing home.

You won't want to leave the Avon though, it really is gorgeous especially above Evesham.

Edited by Breals

Thanks Breals, that sounds interesting too. Will run it through Canalplan tomorrow and get a distance and locks count.

Is there an extra fee payable to use the Avon? If so, how/where is this payable, and how much?

Thanks again, I'm out of here, goodnight.

There's something like 17 hours of daylight at the moment. To only boat for 9 of them seems a terrible waste. ;)

A good day's boating for me once started at 04.45 at Stourton Jct on the Staffs and Worcs and ended at Lapworth top lock on the North Stratford canal some 20 hours later. The canal route planner gives the time as 19 hours, 31 minutes, but our run was with a motor and butty with just a three man crew and included a supermarket stop at Merry Hill.

The following three days took us to Stockton top lock, Ayhno Wharf and Abingdon on Thames and by early the next afternoon we were tied up at Reading having run from Kidderminster in less than 5 days.

That sounds to me like a bit too much of Birmingham - then again, everything looks totally different from the waterways. Will bear that in mind or look for a compromise.

Is there an extra fee payable to use the Avon? If so, how/where is this payable, and how much?

I'm not sure you can ever have too much of the canals around Birmingham. There's always something different to see and in many places it's hard to believe you're in the middle of a huge conurbation. For the route I suggested, you would have a 4 hour run in from Alvechurch to Gas Street with plenty of safe moorings. It's a late start half day to the Black Country Museum with quiet moorings opposite the Museum itself. From there, you can be back through Brum, down the B&F and back in the country in a longish day. Flexibility!

In 2005 a 14 day licence for the Lower and Upper Avon cost £44. The lock keepers at Tewkesbury and Evesham issue them. If you join the river at Stratford you may be able to buy the licence from an Upper Avon patrol fficer before you get to Evesham.

Edited by Paul Evans

BCN via the Tame Valley Canal and Wyrley and Essington before dropping back onto the Staffs and Worcs

Did this back in May. Absolutely brilliant. Birmingham from the canal is a whole different world. Very strange cruising under Spaghetti Junction. Wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Wyrley and Essington was glorious. Crystal clear water - I nearly grounded the boat as I was too busy watching fish!

Janet