Painting an engine room

Featured Posts

Hi,

On my hopefully-soon-to-be-purchased narrowboat there is a large engine room at the rear which is unlined. This is mainly painted with some kind of mat red paint or mat green paint below the waterline. There are some patches of rust here and there, but the original paint is largely intact.

I'd like to paint below the waterline in light grey, and above in white to brighten the place up.

Would cleaning and degreasing followed by Hammertite smooth paint be ok for this?

What have other people done?

Thanks,

Simon

;) Sorry, can't speak from any direct experience although Hammerite is good stuff.

What I really wanted to ask was is your 'nom de plume' a reference to your preferred crank arrangement and if so wouldn't a nice crackle red be more suitable? :o

;) Sorry, can't speak from any direct experience although Hammerite is good stuff.

What I really wanted to ask was is your 'nom de plume' a reference to your preferred crank arrangement and if so wouldn't a nice crackle red be more suitable? :D

TVR also do one :o

TVR also do one ;)

Ooh yeah, I've a vague recollection of that one. What was it fitted in - the last of the Cerberas?

The other one I was thinking of was by Lotus. Fancy a green & yellow engine room? :o

Ooh yeah, I've a vague recollection of that one. What was it fitted in - the last of the Cerberas?

The other one I was thinking of was by Lotus. Fancy a green & yellow engine room? :o

The TVR AJP V8 as used in the Tuscan racers and the V8 Cerberas had flat plane cranks.

Don;t think I'll go for a yellow engine room though ;)

Sorry, can't speak from any direct experience although Hammerite is good stuff.

I used Hammerite Smooth for my Engine box recently. I contacted the manufacturers (now ICI not Finnigans!!) and they confirmed that once it has cured (six weeks) the paint is oil, water and heat resisting. The only problem is that they have disciontinued Light Grey as a standard colour, although I was able to get some on order from Brewers Paint Merchants.

Sooooooooooo..................any comment on Hammerite or other paint systems for this? ;)

Well, I used Hammerite ordinary (i.e. dimpled) for the engine space under the rear deck on my first little cruiser style n/b and it proved ideal, long-lasting, easy to clean, and stayed on for a good few years until I sold the boat. Green, if it makes any difference.

And my cars have a most unusual crank arrangement - a flat-plane four.

I used hammerite smooth last year in my engine 'ole under a cruiser stern. Preparation consisted of removing any loose or flaking rust, wire brushing where practical then sweeping up as much dust as possible. Paint was then liberally applied, with a second coat within 24 hours.

So far, despite being a damp place, it still looks remarkably good.

I used hammerite smooth last year in my engine 'ole under a cruiser stern. Preparation consisted of removing any loose or flaking rust, wire brushing where practical then sweeping up as much dust as possible. Paint was then liberally applied, with a second coat within 24 hours.

So far, despite being a damp place, it still looks remarkably good.

Thanks for that, looks like it could be a good option then! ;)

I've used Dambouline bilge paint in light grey - does what it says on the tin and dries quickly.

Diesel & oil resistant etc.

How did you prepare the surface Stuart, did you need an undercoat or anything? One of the main attractions for me about hammerite is that I can paint over rust and exisiting paint without a primer, just need to clean loose stuff off and de-grease.

How did you prepare the surface Stuart, did you need an undercoat or anything? One of the main attractions for me about hammerite is that I can paint over rust and exisiting paint without a primer, just need to clean loose stuff off and de-grease.

It was a new build so the engine space was already primered and clean as a whistle!

Thanks David and Alec, what sort of preperation work did you do in your engine bays?

removed as much muck as possible with scrapers rags etc, De-greased with white spirit and then industrial cellulose thinners, and sanded with medium (120) grade glass paper.