How Many Ways Can A Boat Sink?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Kindly meant - and please don't get me wrong. As it is a long thread and with many replies in a short space of time, it's easy to miss something that has been asked before, though doubtless the OP is aware of this and appreciative still. I do not know Cheshire Rose personally so am jumping the gun a bit there.

Thank you Derek,

I am indeed very appreciative of everyones help on this thread.

PythonSinkingPoints.jpg

You have summed it up rather well I think Mike

I lurve your drawing of Python - please can you sign it and let me have it so I can frame it and hang it in the cabin :)

If that representation of the bilge outlet is any way accurate it gives me the willies.

The pressure in a weed hatch chamber is a dynamic system. How high above the normal waterline is the outlet? how high above the running waterline?

It should at the least have an air lock loop in it although that won't prevent syphoning after the bilge pump has filled the pipe.

Personally I like to be able to see the bilge pump outlet, I want to know when it's going off, how well it's doing and when it stops.

I have had a number of boats where bilge operation is critical and I wouldn't have that system for the world. Why is an outlet where you can't see it any better than one higher up where you can? It is exactly the same number of outlets in the hull and in a very vulnerable position.

Is there a loop in the exhaust?

I would just reitterate the jist of what I already said in post 113.

We have taken on board all the wonderful constructive suggestions that have been made so far and we will be incorporating these things into the schedule of maintenance on Python.

The original reason for this thread was to attempt to work out what caused Python to sink WHILE STATIC.

It is the general consensus of opinion that anything relating to drains in the weedhatch area would not have contributed to that problem.

I am no longer getting actively involved in responding to the questions being posted on this thread. The suggestions put forward have been noted and if anyone has anything different to offer it will be read and noted but it does feel to me that there are a lot of people going over old territory now. This is not a critism as I appreciate there is a lot of information to read and it is very easy to miss something but equally I am extremely busy this week doing stuff for Python, other stuff for The Chesterfield Canal Trust, stuff for our own boat so we can hopefully get a long weekend away in two weeks, buying property, emptying a room in our home so we can trace a wiring fault, and trying to earn some money and so I cannot afford to spend more time in repeating things I have already posted or in fact trying to find out information from the crew who are working on Python (who is an hours drive away from me) to answer additional questions posed unless I feel they are in any way relevant to her sudden overnight sinking.

I would like to once again thank everyone for their very helpful input to date and assure everyone that the cvery constructive points raised have been noted and are to be incorparated into the maintenance shedule which is now underway

• 2 weeks later...

Not mentioned as far as I can see, how HIGH is the weedhatch surround in the counter?

One weekend Geaorge Andrews pumped out Romulus bilges with an electric pump and hose over the side. He switched off and went home. On the monday Les Allen found her sunk, the canal had syphoned back up the pipe.Take care.

One weekend Geaorge Andrews pumped out Romulus bilges with an electric pump and hose over the side. He switched off and went home. On the monday Les Allen found her sunk, the canal had syphoned back up the pipe.Take care.

Managed the same trick only last night, suddenly realized I hadn't pulled the hose back in and undid all my pumping work! :unsure:

Oh dear... Mike