John Driver - Serial Con-Man

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I noted in one of the waterways glossies, (Waterways World) I think that John Driver had been found guilty on at least one charge concerning his (very) dubious activities.

John Driver (aka Eddy Rayner) was a con-man in London, purporting to be offering a service hiring your boat out for long term rental, and managing the process on your behalf, but the reality was very different, and some people got very badly hurt.

I hope the story of him being found guilty is true, but the article mentioned no mention of his punishment that I could see.

I can't recall this being mentioned on here, even though he himself was once a member, as have been some of those whose lives he messed with.

Nor can I turn up any obvious news reference to a court case in Google.

Does anyone know more about this, please, and can you point us at any on-line information about him apparently being brought to trial, and any sentence passed ?

I noted in one of the waterways glossies, (Waterways World) I think that John Driver had been found guilty on at least one charge concerning his (very) dubious activities.

John Driver (aka Eddy Rayner) was a con-man in London, purporting to be offering a service hiring your boat out for long term rental, and managing the process on your behalf, but the reality was very different, and some people got very badly hurt.

I hope the story of him being found guilty is true, but the article mentioned no mention of his punishment that I could see.

I can't recall this being mentioned on here, even though he himself was once a member, as have been some of those whose lives he messed with.

Nor can I turn up any obvious news reference to a court case in Google.

Does anyone know more about this, please, and can you point us at any on-line information about him apparently being brought to trial, and any sentence passed ?

The Law Pages lists the hearing as taking place on 7 September, Isleworth Crown Court, Case No T20120397, but the sentence is not recorded.

He got 2 years suspended, according to the Bryan and Brewer website.

Doesn't seem to be any more information online apart from some tales of woe from his victims.

Is this the bloke who cloned Escape the Rat Race's website?

He didn't quite clone it - he did have offered for rent on there a boat that actually belonged to a CWDF member that wasn't even moored where he said it was. He'd just nicked a load of random photos off brokers websites. I think he was taking deposits and 'doing a runner' with the money. He'd been seen up here but due to a BW tip off (thanks Debbi) we managed to warn everyone and afaik no one got stung.

Last BW heard of him, was that he was advertising as a man and van for art removals as in, he would remove your art and you'd never ever see it again! :cheers: