coolant question

pquinn

Featured Posts

hello folks,i have noticed that my engine seems to be using up a bit of coolant.a very small ammount.just wondering what this means bearing in mind it is due a service.any ideas would be welcome. paul.

What engine? My Vetus used coolant from new,until I modified it.

no, definitely not.

Well its either boiling off, or leaking. If the former,one would expect to see the engine coolant temperature hotter than usual (if you have a gauge). If the latter, it's a matter of finding out where it's coming from. Presuming there is no sign of leakage in the vicinity of the engine, and with you having discounted an internal leak into the engine oil, it would be worth checking a couple of other possibilities - the area of the skin tank (might be partially in the cabin,so check the cabin bilge at the back), or the gearbox oil. There is normally a gearbox oil / coolant heat exchanger that can leak water into the gbx oil system.

hello folks,i have noticed that my engine seems to be using up a bit of coolant.a very small ammount.just wondering what this means bearing in mind it is due a service.any ideas would be welcome. paul.

What kind of quantities are we talking about?

Head gasket leaks and leaks, due to improperly secured pipes, will usually be followed by the introduction of air into the cooling system. This causes erratic levels in the expansion tank, leading to overflow. Also fuel smell in the coolant. Water, finding it's way into the oil will show as a creamy sludge around the oil filler cap.

Make sure the thermostat is opening and also closing.

Edited by Higgs

Just a quick thought, something that is all to often overlooked is the coolant cap itself, as the seal hardens over time they can cause a slight bloss of coolant. worth a look, and also one of the cheepest and easiest to replace. To find a leek otherwise i recommend a static pressure test for twenty minutes when colod and then again once hot. regards Martin