Solar Panel Tilt and Swivel Mounting

sumajan

Featured Posts

Advice please as to where I can buy tilt and swivel mountings for a 80w solar panel.The type I'm searching for are made of aluminium, triangular shaped with an adjustable knurled knob which slides up and down to give tilt to the panel.

Have no idea what they're called. Have searched the web for what I thought they were called but can't find any.

Thanks in anticipation.

John Hinch.

Advice please as to where I can buy tilt and swivel mountings for a 80w solar panel.The type I'm searching for are made of aluminium, triangular shaped with an adjustable knurled knob which slides up and down to give tilt to the panel.

Have no idea what they're called. Have searched the web for what I thought they were called but can't find any.

Thanks in anticipation.

John Hinch.

They have mounts on ebay which tilt and adjust.

Ian.

Bought mine from the chandlery at Burton-on-Trent - Shobnall Marine. Cost about £30 for a pair. They work well on my 80 watt solar panel, although swivelling the panel will loosen the knurled hand bolts.

Doug

An expected result.but surely the procedure is to release the bolts adjust the panels and re-tighten the bolts.

Have found the brackets on 'Elfresco Bay' priced at £34.99. so decided to bite the bullet and buy these.

Did try Shobnall marina, but got no reply. Couldn't find them anywhere else being sold seperately.

Thanks again for assistance.

John H.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the brackets delivered on Thursday. They are what I was looking for and appear to be just the job

Are far more robust than as they appear on the site picture.

Just thought I'd update in case anyone else is looking for them.

John Hinch.

I think that it was Roger Gunkel who has done the measurements as reported that, on average it was better to leave the panels flat on the roof rather than tilted to the latitude - declination angle to the south. This was without rotating them in azimuth.

I would have thought that tracking by hand was not worth the hassle of going out every 15 mins to adjust them and automatic tracking not worth the technical complication.

N

No, I hadn't read Gunkels report Theo, I just chose, what for me was the best option.

My boat is moored broadside to east and west in a marina. I wanted something to tilt the solar panel to face the sun for as long as possible.

I live 180 miles from the boat and don't fancy the idea of a land line connected charger.

Am going into hosp shortly for an operation and don't know how long I'll be in or how long it will take me to recuperate after,as I will be having further treatment after the op.

It may be some time before I can get back down to the boat.

Fortunately friends who do live-aboard in the marina, are going to keep and eye on things and I just wanted to make sure the batteries were up to running the bilge pump (if required) etc..

The batteries are new and were fully charged when I left two weeks ago so they should be alright with a trickle charge.

Think it's called belt and braces syndrome

Thanks again everyone for the advice and assistance.

John Hinch.