SR3 exhaust wrap for hot water

Wren's Camper

Featured Posts

No, my exhaust has an exchanger as part of it. It is not connected to anything, I suspect it was used because it was lying about. I effect hot water by the old fashioned way, with a kettle, on the fire.

A gas fire is much more effective than a 40 odd, or more, old diesel engine.

Also, should add, well done, for sorting out your posting fonts. It may seem trivial, and childish, but taking into accou t the various systems that we use to access this forum, the simple, understated standard form is best. Thank you :cheers:

Edited by luctor et emergo

If you Google Lister SR and ST diesel engines and click on links you should find forums and the like where these engines are used in cold countries like north Canada ect in isolated out of the way districts that have no normal power supplies whatever. They've done amazing modifications to these engines to get every tiny bit of power from them to power there cabins or whole house, from coils of copper pipe wrapped around the exhaust and engine to heat water for heating the house ect and to generate electricity for the house, and very successfully too, all done with perhaps an SR2 or ST2. They all swop their ideas too and have it down to a fine art, its obviously a serious matter for them and very clever at it.

If you Google Lister SR and ST diesel engines and click on links you should find forums and the like where these engines are used in cold countries like north Canada ect in isolated out of the way districts that have no normal power supplies whatever. They've done amazing modifications to these engines to get every tiny bit of power from them to power there cabins or whole house, from coils of copper pipe wrapped around the exhaust and engine to heat water for heating the house ect and to generate electricity for the house, and very successfully too, all done with perhaps an SR2 or ST2. They all swop their ideas too and have it down to a fine art, its obviously a serious matter for them and very clever at it.

That's a good thought, I was just thinking boats. It's just that I have heard stories of people who have done it on a boat but never seen any real live evidence. Right - Google it is...

My Dad's fitted one around the exhaust on his SL2. To start the water only got just above cold so we removed it and used a smaller diameter pipe, now he gets mildly warm water. Ok if you don't mind adding pans of hot from the stove for a bath.. We are not going to bother altering it again, too much hassle. Far easier to just fit an immersion heater and use a genny to run it..

Casp'

[quote name='luctor et emergo' timestamp='1346881078' post='934488'

Also, should add, well done, for sorting out your posting fonts. It may seem trivial, and childish, but taking into accou t the various systems that we use to access this forum, the simple, understated standard form is best. Thank you :cheers:

Not to mention posters who have rediculously long signatures of waffle under every post they make

Casp'