S&SYN film

Pluto

Featured Posts

Brilliant stuff.

The Vespa Rally in Leeds was fun too - talk about the way we were (well, some of us!). Things were simpler, but still fun.

To add:

Searching that website finds two very good films;

A silent colour film around 15 minutes in length - 'Humber Highway', in which several river barges and Keels are seen, as well as making ribs for new boats. NAR is in there, ROMEO and others. 1956.

The 'Port of Goole' is half hour long, in colour with sound and commentary. Mostly concentrating on the docks, its shipping, and goods handling, More Keels to be seen. 1964.

Edited by Derek R.

The reproduction of the original 16mm film taken by Mr Chisnall is an important record of the waterway from Sheffield and the many works, long gone, are shown here. I find it of interest also that the boat captain blew a horn. Was this standard practice on this waterway? and where else was it adopted?

Ray Shill

I would imagine using a mouth blown horn was standard practice wherever an electric one was not available! It harks back to stage coach days and beyond, extending to such boats as did not have any other form of mechanised audible approach warning system. Sounds simplistic, but then the simplest solutions are often those missed.

I've heard it said some even removed the reed and blew tunes from them. Sounds like jazz to me.

An R&CHS member has sent the following details of a film of the S&SYN held by the Yorkshire Film Archive. The first part is available to view at:

S&SYN film

Thanks for posting that

- it's a shame the film ends before the description in that the film doesn't go all the way to Thorne but the description of it does...