Old copy of WW Southern Oxford Canal map?

Dan

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

Bit of a funny request but I wondered if anyone had (or knows how I could get) an old copy of the Waterways World canal map series that was published in the early 1980s for the Southern Oxford canal. As I recall it had a photo of a Black Prince boat caled Rapier passing under a lift bridge on one of the pages inside, which I would like to see.

I think the map cover was a two tone colour mainly in red. I had one years ago but would like to get my hands on that picture again for the website if possible! :)

Dan

http://www.blackprinceowners.org.uk/index.html

Hi Everyone

Bit of a funny request but I wondered if anyone had (or knows how I could get) an old copy of the Waterways World canal map series that was published in the early 1980s for the Southern Oxford canal. As I recall it had a photo of a Black Prince boat caled Rapier passing under a lift bridge on one of the pages inside, which I would like to see.

I think the map cover was a two tone colour mainly in red. I had one years ago but would like to get my hands on that picture again for the website if possible! :)

Dan

http://www.blackprinceowners.org.uk/index.html

I probable have a copy at home, but we are boating at the moment. If you can't get one PM me in a couple of weeks and I will look for you.

Can't help you, I'm afraid with your request, but I just thought I'd mention, in case you were unaware, that your website doesn't seem to work at all with Firefox or Chrome - only Explorer. sad.gif

Hi there

I was aware it caused issues which is why I put the advisory about best viewed with IE, however, it will work if you try from here:

http://www.blackprinceowners.org.uk/boatlistingandphotos.html

It's a nuisance I know, and I may hopefully be able to transfer it over the winter to a newer system that will work, but I do not currently have much time to give it and it has grown to be almost 700 pages :wacko:

Best Wishes

Dan

I probable have a copy at home, but we are boating at the moment. If you can't get one PM me in a couple of weeks and I will look for you.

Thanks, that's kind, and much apprciated

Will be in touch in a fortnight if no-one else has found one! :cheers:

Dan

Hi there,

First post - lurker, but compelled to reply to this one, as I think I have the exact thing you are after - I have the early 80's red/pink South Oxford guide, and I think it's probly the middle image on this page..?

7740950032_ae84bce009_b.jpg

Let me know if you think it's a different one, and I will try to find it. Also - if you need the original, then happy to send to you.. And if you want a bigger scan for the website, let me know too!

Mark

Edited by Samaritan

Hi there,

First post - lurker, but compelled to reply to this one, as I think I have the exact thing you are after - I have the early 80's red/pink South Oxford guide, and I think it's probly the middle image on this page..?

7740950032_ae84bce009_b.jpg

Let me know if you think it's a different one, and I will try to find it. Also - if you need the original, then happy to send to you.. And if you want a bigger scan for the website, let me know too!

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for scanning those, sadly those are not the pictures I was thinking of.

I think it is probably close to the page that features Lower Heyford as the bridge is just round the corner from there (Mill Lift Bridge I think) and it is a fairly close up image of the boat, taken I think of it's stern.

It's at this point I'm hoping I've not remembered it from the wrong book or something!! :rolleyes:

Many thanks

Dan

Hi Mark

Thanks for scanning those, sadly those are not the pictures I was thinking of.

I think it is probably close to the page that features Lower Heyford as the bridge is just round the corner from there (Mill Lift Bridge I think) and it is a fairly close up image of the boat, taken I think of it's stern.

It's at this point I'm hoping I've not remembered it from the wrong book or something!! :rolleyes:

Many thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Think you might have the wrong book then - I have the March 1981 edition, Oxford Canal (South) - the photo I posted was of the page after the Lower Heyford section, and having a good look through I can't see any other photos that might match your description. There is a nice full page advert for Black Prince with a photo of 'Poseidon' on it if you are interested tho!

Could it have been a later edition?

Mark

Hi Dan,

Think you might have the wrong book then - I have the March 1981 edition, Oxford Canal (South) - the photo I posted was of the page after the Lower Heyford section, and having a good look through I can't see any other photos that might match your description. There is a nice full page advert for Black Prince with a photo of 'Poseidon' on it if you are interested tho!

Could it have been a later edition?

Mark

Oh dear... sorry about that Mark, apologies for sending you on a wild goosechase.

I can picture it quite clearly and it was a black and white image so I am pretty certain was a Waterways World map, but as you say, perhaps a later edition.

Thanks for your trouble

Dan

No problem Dan - as soon as you described the cover I remembered I had it!

The other thought that occurred to me - maybe mine has pages missing - not inconceivable given the age. Maybe someone else has one with extra pages! :blink:

Anyway, in case you haven't got it...

7741572134_a334a29407_b.jpg

Mark