waiting for the licence

Suzie_q

Featured Posts

All.

Off on first trip this weekend but just had a thought.

We have applied for the licence, all paid for at the marina a few days ago, but we only have the acknowledgement of application slip.

I am assuming that as long as we have that with us any questions about licencing will be covered, until the licence arrives?

Can we claim the equivalent of "tax in the post"? :unsure:

Loads of us have had licences & permits bought in good time that fail to arrive in time occasionally over the years & whilst its unlikely you'll get questioned, its advisable to take all paperwork with you that proves you've paid, to show a C&RT official if challenged. Don't let it worry you & there's nothing wrong with putting a small notice in your window that says "awaiting licence from C&RT" or something to that effect. Everyone who sees it it will well understand!

All.

We have applied for the licence, all paid for at the marina a few days ago, but we only have the acknowledgement of application slip.

I am assuming that as long as we have that with us any questions about licencing will be covered, until the licence arrives?

You will be fine - we have in the past run our boat for up to 2 months with an invalid 'disc' in the window due to leaving the ones we had bought and paid for it at home.

One patrol officer at Alrewas passed us with his little gizmo but made not remark.

The C&RT guys can check your status without the need to see a valid licence. Yes it is technically an 'offence' not display a valid licence but I have never heard of a single case of prosecution for not doing so when somebody actually had a valid licence nor had anybody else when I asked on here.

All.

I was wondering the same when I applied for mine last week! But it arrived on Wednesday - some service!!!

Hopefully it will be at home when we get back. Applied on Monday but it wasn't in the post Friday.

Having too much fun to care.

:-)

As already said above the Leeds folk are pretty efficient - our last one came in a few days too :cheers: in the meantime just enjoy your self you have nothing to worry about..

Slightly :smiley_offtopic: , how far in advance do you apply for your licence ?, mine doesn't expire until May 2013 ,I'm assuming that i have to apply for it in April but how do claim the prompt payment discount ? ,I know i have to send in a "boat licence form" as i haven't bought one before and they need all my details.

Edited by JerryP

Slightly :smiley_offtopic: , how far in advance do you apply for your licence ?, mine doesn't expire until May 2013 ,I'm assuming that i have to apply for it in April but how do claim the prompt payment discount ? ,I know i have to send in a "boat licence form" as i haven't bought one before and they need all my details.

As long as C&RT receive full payment before expiry you will qualify for PPD. For the avoidance of any doubt or dispute I sent mine by recorded delivery a few days before my last licence expired,

As long as C&RT receive full payment before expiry you will qualify for PPD. For the avoidance of any doubt or dispute I sent mine by recorded delivery a few days before my last licence expired,

so if i sent it early April ? ,then i'd be ok ?

so if i sent it early April ? ,then i'd be ok ?

Easily OK.

Just send by recorded delivery in case C&RT dispute they have received it (Unlikely as they seem a good bunch at Leeds) or Royal Mail lose it.

If you recently bought the boat.

You and the previous owner should have filled in a 'change of ownership' form.

Available here: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/735.pdf

If there is another reason for not having bought a licence before you should still inform them, you are now the owner.

If C&RT know you are the owner they will send the reminder to your address, if yours runs out at the end of May you will get a reminder at the end of April, keep an eye out for it though, they have been known to forget.

If you recently bought the boat.

You and the previous owner should have filled in a 'change of ownership' form.

Available here: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/735.pdf

If there is another reason for not having bought a licence before you should still inform them, you are now the owner.

If C&RT know you are the owner they will send the reminder to your address, if yours runs out at the end of May you will get a reminder at the end of April, keep an eye out for it though, they have been known to forget.

They don't send reminders until youv'e registed all your details with them ,that happens when i apply for my first licence ,according to what it said on the letter i got anyway.

If you pay by Direct Debit they send the licence out well before & take the money on the due date.

If you pay by Direct Debit they send the licence out well before & take the money on the due date.

Only if paid annually - you don't get the prompt payment discount if you pay by monthly DD...

New boat owner, just applied for new BW licence by email (scanned form, etc.). After a month I had heard nothing, so called BW, who had not processed the application despite acknowledging receipt by email. Maybe this was a one-off, but they're not infallible!!!

• 4 weeks later...

New boat owner, just applied for new BW licence by email (scanned form, etc.). After a month I had heard nothing, so called BW, who had not processed the application despite acknowledging receipt by email. Maybe this was a one-off, but they're not infallible!!!

I am in the process of buying my first boat and phoned the C&RT Friday to ask about this and they said that as long as they have the payment (and correct paperwork!) then you are licenced. Hope this helps.

If you do put a sign in the window of your boat, it might be worth adding - 'Really, honestly, it's definitely in the post'.

There's a boat in the marina, had one for over a year. I know sometimes the post is slow, but.. I'm sure this particular boater is taking the proverbial.

If you do put a sign in the window of your boat, it might be worth adding - 'Really, honestly, it's definitely in the post'.

There's a boat in the marina, had one for over a year. I know sometimes the post is slow, but.. I'm sure this particular boater is taking the proverbial.

It's easy to check and report it (if so inclined that is) -

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/boat-check