LCD TV

nigel carton

Featured Posts

My first thought was one of the portable DVD players, but then you will still need a tuner, unless there is one around that has that included now.

The quality of these things is very variable, and not necessarily proportional to price. There are some good 7inch ones around.

The Venturer at Argos is quite good for the price. It has a scart to phono adapter cable included so you could use it with a freeview box.

Edited by dor

I bought a 7" one from Ebay on Buy-it-now for £75 delivered. Brand new from a UK supplier and its really good. Probably Chinese but it works fine and has a pretty good picture, remote control and loads of leads for various stuff. It can work from 12v, 240v and batteries.

Very pleased with it.

Actually this looks a lot better!

http://www.allcam.biz/products/lilliputtv.html

318GL-70TVs.jpg

* 7 inches (diagonal) active matrix slim panel display

* Optional 4 display modes: 4:3<-->16:9 <-->16:9 Zoom<-->4:3 For CCTV

* High resolution (H x V): 1440 x 234 = 336,960 pixels

* Advanced color configuration: RGB stripe

* Auto Search & 90 channels preset/memory

* Video system: PAL/NTSC auto conversion

* DVD/VCD/Security system/ GPS Navigation system compatible

* Super slim design only 26 mm

£125.98 inc VAT

Looks pretty neat.

Does anyone have any views on voltage stabilisers for LCD tv's? I've heard they can be sensitive to over-voltage, which you could get if the engine is running with an external regulator holding voltage at 14.8V.

In other words, are these necessary:

http://www.amperor.co.uk/prod_cps_55a.asp (12v)

http://www.amperor.co.uk/prod_adp_90dc-125525.asp (12/24V)

I had thought in the past of using a dc to dc converter to keep my TV going when it decides to cut out through low voltage, but they seemed rather expensive. The 12v gizmo above is about £10 which is muuch more reasonable. My CRT 10" TV is rated at 39 watts; I think similar sized LCD tvs are less than half that, so shouldn't be a problem.

But the real question is: do LCD tv's actually need this sort of thing?

I bought a 17inch wide screen recently. In my research I found little difference in quality of the picture for equal pixel size. Some cheap ones are only 600x800 for a 4:3. I suspect most makes use the same source anyway. The one I bought for 399 had the same basic layout - switch positions etc - and firmware as a Philips at 599 and a sanyo at 499. Picture quality was identical. Sound qualaity however did vary and the philips was definitely better. However a £29 pair of active speakers gives better sound than any of them.

Someone a while back pointed to the following device:

External Digital TV Tuner

This is designed to be used in conjunction with a PC Monitor (CRT, LCD or even Projector) and so you don't need to buy an LCD TV.

There is also an analogue version on the same website for those who don't want the 30(?) Freeview channels.

I have been looking into this but would want a bit more PC integration.

What I want is to have a PC with TV Tuner so that I can record to the HDD and then burn to DVD if I want to keep what I have recorded.

Since the PC requires significant amounts of power though, I want to be able to use the tuner without switching on the PC.

The product above just sits in the line between the PC video output and the screen so does not need the computer to be on - indeed it does not need a computer at all.

But it doesn't actually speak to the computer so HDD recording is not possible.

If this box had a USB interface with the PC it would be just the job.

At £103.40 for a digibox that plugs into a computer monitor, it is probably worth a look anyway!

Edited by Martin

Heres an interesting solution for someone after a large TFT panel - 17"

product_MN2564.jpg

Very good price at £139.83 (Inc VAT)

http://www.microlandtechnology.com/product...p?partno=MN2564

then combine with a high resolution TV tuner with teletext, such as the "Aver TV Tuner Box 9"

TVtuner9.jpg

http://www.ameiva.co.uk/index.php?section=...F5-54666B03644D

£123.38 inc VAT

This allows you to

Use your PC/Laptop with a TFT monitor

Use a DVD player/xbox/playstation etc.

Access to teletext

High resolution 1280x1024 display.

Good combination for less than £264 !

I have been looking into this but would want a bit more PC integration.

What I want is to have a PC with TV Tuner so that I can record to the HDD and then burn to DVD if I want to keep what I have recorded.

Since the PC requires significant amounts of power though, I want to be able to use the tuner without switching on the PC.

You mean like this http://www.mysettopbox.tv/. This is what I use for watching TV at home, replaces my old Tivo unit.

I will have to trawl through the threads probably!

Thing is though - to be able to watch TV without booting Windows (or Linux).

Be aware with cheaper TFT/LCD Screens....

Look at the "response time" before you buy.

This is the time it takes for the screen to update from one image to the next.

According to a review in a computer mag this week, you should not look at anything with a figure of over 25m/s.

Newer ones are getting down to 8m/s.

Too high and the picture will be jerky or blurred - like watching an mpeg with the sample rate too low.

The one from Stuart above is 16m/s so should be acceptable unless you are picky!

I would like to see it against a new 8m/s one to compare.

Edited by Martin