Free fenders!

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

Lock fenders?

Whether they're proper rope fenders, or those "pipe" fenders that I often see (which are useless for using along bank side moorings) are dangerous to use in locks, unless of course, you're going through a wide lock on your own.

True, but you must share locks also?

By the way, how are you going to fix them? Is it just a case of running some rope through, with a knot at the end to hold it in place? Seems to most widely used method.

Lock fenders?

Whether they're proper rope fenders, or those "pipe" fenders that I often see (which are useless for using along bank side moorings) are dangerous to use in locks, unless of course, you're going through a wide lock on your own.

Hi Liam

I am curious, why are they dangerous.

Regards

Phil

Hi Liam

I am curious, why are they dangerous.

Regards

Phil

Any fender deployed whilst in a lock could cause the boat to 'jam' this is especially true of a boat in a narrow lock, or two boats side by side in a double lock.

The boat/boats could 'hang' with no water under them.

All the K&A locks are wide.

Not that wide Snibble. I got stuck solid in a lock on the Caen Hill flight because the boat I was locking through with had pipe fenders down both sides. It took us over an hour to get free.

I just scored about 20M of 30mm yellow poly gas pipe. Bit of rope and there we have a few sets of lock fenders :cheers:

Nice one Snibble, large washer either end and away you go.

Also a thanks to you other guys for making me aware of the potential pitfalls of pipe fenders. This is why I read this forum, practical knwledable advice.

What ho Wriggly! I may be in your neck of the woods this coming weekend, so if you hear a rap on your hull and a cry of "Beer beer beer beer".............

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Not afraid of nuffink see and particularly not beer-loving little furry things!

Anyway, you've got to catch me first ........... :cheers: