advice for the stourport ring an upcoming holiday

souladventurer

Featured Posts

Hi everyone !!

i am so lookinf forward to a canal boat holiday in september 2012 to do the Stourport ring (departing Worcester marina) or cruise down the river severn and up or down the avon to stratford upon avon. I would appreciate some feedback on this topic.

Firstly this will be my 2nd cruise with 4 other friends who work well as a team, just not on deciding which route to take!! so do we do the stourport ring or statford upon avon via tewkesbury !!!

I relise the stratford run is river all the way but (after speaking to my dad) has some delightful towns on route tewkesbury,pershore and evesham and of course statford.

i have been researching the stouport ring and stratford upon avon route and return and im confused how long it takes to complete various boating organisations say 44 hours to cruise others 54 hours or 7 - 8 hours a day cruising. My friends are not keen on the ammount of locks especially tardeigge locks x30!!!

What do we want to achieve. basically a nice holiday to include relaxation, exploring some of the pretty towns on route, retail therapy,drinkin of beer eating of food and some exploring and maybe stopping at black museum, gas street basin in birmingham (possibly overnight if time allows????)Tunnels etc. Which i think is part of the adventure.

I spoke to the lads at the yard to help rpepare my arguement with my friend as to the benefits of Stourport ring ie going round in circle not forward and back which does not appeal to half of the crew. I have reasached this lots and with such varying stories wanna hear your views (man at boat yard said he dis stouport ring in 4 days although almost non stop) is it going to be a long slog or not ???? were not afraid of hard work just getting the balance right.

The man at the boat yard said as long as you do 7.5 hours day we will make it easy including stop offs????

SO is it the ring or statford upon avon via tewkesbury help!!!!!!!!! we need to make up mind!!! thank you everyone for any advice

How long is your holiday for?

Hi there thank you for getting back to me we are going for 1 week departing sunday 9th september around 2- 3pm and returning sunday 16th by 10am part of the conditions so 7 nights. Unfortunatly attitudes and tempers are not good as half want to do the ring for the varying contrast and the other half wish to do the river severn - tewesbury statford upon avon which offers none of what the ring offers so tought times in debating. i spoke to the lady at worcester marina saying we would like to have stop at stourport on severn, kinver (told very pretty) black country mueseum for 3 hours max i reckon and visit gas street basin if possible overnight she seemed to think if we stick to 7.5 hours cruising a day we will be fine ??? thank you for your comments. Andy

Hi there thank you for getting back to me we are going for 1 week departing sunday 9th september around 2- 3pm and returning sunday 16th by 10am part of the conditions so 7 nights. Unfortunatly attitudes and tempers are not good as half want to do the ring for the varying contrast and the other half wish to do the river severn - tewesbury statford upon avon which offers none of what the ring offers so tought times in debating. i spoke to the lady at worcester marina saying we would like to have stop at stourport on severn, kinver (told very pretty) black country mueseum for 3 hours max i reckon and visit gas street basin if possible overnight she seemed to think if we stick to 7.5 hours cruising a day we will be fine ??? thank you for your comments. Andy

I have been trying to use the canal planner but struggling a little with this as it lists all bridges etc an cannpt decipher the basics cruising times

You will need a weather report before you leave. We got stuck on the Severn for 9 days and when we got to Droitwich we had to abandon going to Stourport because of the state of the river. Now heading for Tardebigge.

Forget Evesham it's a dump but everywhere else is lovely.

We've never done the Avon Ring / Tewksbury, but given the "summer" (.. and river levels...) we've had so far, I'd plump for the Stourport Ring as you're less likely to be at the mercy of the weather and river levels. Starting from Worcester, I'd be inclined to do The Stourport Ring clockwise i.e. go up the severn first if it's not in flood - that way you get the 'river bit' out of the way early on and can then enjoy the rest of the trip without having to think about turning back half way. If you go anti-clockwise - i.e. up the W&B, you end up on the Severn at the end of the trip - and if it's in flood then, you're knackered !