Why not become a CRT'er

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Well tomorrows sees the launch of CRT. You can now join for just £3.00 a month which I think is reasonable: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/get-involved/donate-now

It wont take long before we will be seeing if this new style of governing our waterways will work, by becoming a CRT'er it will help rally support for the new charity.

We could do with someone drawing up a unofficial "CRT'er" logo (cartoon) so we could be individual CRT'ers (Canal River Trust Enrolled supporter) - as the charity if anything it is a bit stark IMHO and needs a more cheerful look to it.

In Birmingham today posters are alongside main roads advertising CRT and chuggers seemed to collaring folks at the top of Farmers Bridge.

Go on, its only £3.00 a month to be a CRT'er!! :captain:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/get-involved/donate-now

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 2

I think that is actually fairy nuff - it gives an opportunity for the multitude of other users of our rivers and canals to chip in.

I'm happy though with what I pay at the moment.

I think my money is better cared for in my pocket at the moment. Will see how the land lies in 12 months when the usual management bonuses come to light.

"Every penny you give will go directly to keeping the canals and rivers special - restoring, conserving, enhancing and educating people about our 200 year old network of waterways. None of it will be spent on our administration and management overheads. We call it the golden pound."

Thanks for putting this up Laurence I think I'll join, it's a great idea especially as we get so much pleasure from the canal system, I think it will allow people to buy in as they do with the National Trust, RSPB etc

Edited by chieftiff

"Every penny you give will go directly to keeping the canals and rivers special - restoring, conserving, enhancing and educating people about our 200 year old network of waterways. None of it will be spent on our administration and management overheads. We call it the golden pound."

Thanks for putting this up Laurence I think I'll join, it's a great idea especially as we get so much pleasure from the canal system, I think it will allow people to buy in as they do with the National Trust, RSPB etc

I'm happy to pay my way with C&RT but I'm not understanding what is the equivalent of a licence fee to boat on their waters when compared to the NT, RSPB, etc.

I see voluntary donations to C&Rt coming from those not compelled to pay to enjoy the waterways by their chosen method.

I'm happy to pay my way with C&RT but I'm not understanding what is the equivalent of a licence fee to boat on their waters when compared to the NT, RSPB, etc.

I see voluntary donations to C&Rt coming from those not compelled to pay to enjoy the waterways by their chosen method.

I take your point, I'm not sure there is a true equivalence but many people (me included) are already members of NT and RSPB, we joined because we 'use' their services for want of a better term and wouldn't want to lose access if those services ceased to exist. In some ways C&RT have missed a trick here, they should have used this as a way of engaging stakeholders and getting strong buy in by giving people something tangible as a benefit - a badge, magazine anything, rather than simply making them feel like they are making an uncommitted donation.

But, I think you could be surprised how many people feel it a worthy donation given the number of walkers, cyclists, fishermen etc that use the waterways but not necessarily on the water.

"£5.00 per month

could equip our volunteers to trim more than 100 metres of hedgerow"

24 May 2012: On line Auction

By order of British Waterways

Workboats, Vegetation & Contractors Plant and Small Hand Tools

• Range of workboats, powered and unpowered

• Tracked excavators - Ruston Bucyrus and Priestman

• Compair Holman Zitair two tool compressor

• Stihl chainsaws & hedgetrimmers

• Spitfire generator welders

• Extensive range of powered hand tools

Location of assets: Throughout UK

I suppose I will get flamed again for not giving it a chance, but no £5 from me.

Paul

• Greenie 1

"£5.00 per month

could equip our volunteers to trim more than 100 metres of hedgerow"

24 May 2012: On line Auction

By order of British Waterways

Workboats, Vegetation & Contractors Plant and Small Hand Tools

• Range of workboats, powered and unpowered

• Tracked excavators - Ruston Bucyrus and Priestman

• Compair Holman Zitair two tool compressor

• Stihl chainsaws & hedgetrimmers

• Spitfire generator welders

• Extensive range of powered hand tools

Location of assets: Throughout UK

I suppose I will get flamed again for not giving it a chance, but no £5 from me.

Paul

Classic !!! Lol

I take your point, I'm not sure there is a true equivalence but many people (me included) are already members of NT and RSPB, we joined because we 'use' their services for want of a better term and wouldn't want to lose access if those services ceased to exist. In some ways C&RT have missed a trick here, they should have used this as a way of engaging stakeholders and getting strong buy in by giving people something tangible as a benefit - a badge, magazine anything, rather than simply making them feel like they are making an uncommitted donation.

But, I think you could be surprised how many people feel it a worthy donation given the number of walkers, cyclists, fishermen etc that use the waterways but not necessarily on the water.

You seem to me to be advocating the concept of C&RT membership, I'd go with that...

You seem to me to be advocating the concept of C&RT membership, I'd go with that...

I think that would have been a better (more profitable) option, my job is all about stakeholder management and if I want to get people onside I form a working group or task force, membership gives them ownership, people like ownership it generates peer relationships that can quickly stamp on dissent :rolleyes:

I think that would have been a better (more profitable) option, my job is all about stakeholder management and if I want to get people onside I form a working group or task force, membership gives them ownership, people like ownership it generates peer relationships that can quickly stamp on dissent :rolleyes:

OOhh....if I hadn't worked 30 odd years in the public sector I wouldn't have the foggiest what all that was about... :rolleyes:

OOhh....if I hadn't worked 30 odd years in the public sector I wouldn't have the foggiest what all that was about... :rolleyes:

I'm in the private sector but you may have been on one of my working groups, lots of dissent in the public sector :lol:

Edited by chieftiff

I'm in the private sector but you may have been on one of my working groups, lots of dissent in the public sector :lol:

I was referring to the gobbledygook...

Are we being chugged here or what???

No I joined on the first day because I support our waterways and enjoy boating. Whether I pay a licence or not doesnt come into it, to me its an alternative to IWA which to me is well out dated.

Quite, we call those words.....

I spent years participating in 'working groups' engaging people in 'stakeholder management' trying to get people 'onside' or 'ownership' - often facilitated by people from the private sector ie 'Management consultants' and it achieved zero.....

I spent years participating in 'working groups' engaging people in 'stakeholder management' trying to get people 'onside' or 'ownership' - often facilitated by people from the private sector ie 'Management consultants' and it achieved zero.....

It never does, I was exposed to the same profiteering by private sector charlatans when I was in the navy. I'm not a management consultant I run an R&D department, I need to get people onside because I want to use their experience, pick their brains and get them to look at things objectively so I can develop products that meet their needs. I don't profit from them I want them to profit from good products, the language is merely a way of describing things succinctly although I appreciate the language of business is a little unpopular right now but it's not gobbledegook, now If I had mentioned blue sky thinking or other such meaningless bullshit I would understand your angst.

It never does, I was exposed to the same profiteering by private sector charlatans when I was in the navy. I'm not a management consultant I run an R&D department, I need to get people onside because I want to use their experience, pick their brains and get them to look at things objectively so I can develop products that meet their needs. I don't profit from them I want them to profit from good products, the language is merely a way of describing things succinctly although I appreciate the language of business is a little unpopular right now but it's not gobbledegook, now If I had mentioned blue sky thinking or other such meaningless bullshit I would understand your angst.

forgive me for not thinking outside the box.... ;)

to remind folks of the OP:

Well tomorrows sees the launch of CRT. You can now join for just £3.00 a month which I think is reasonable: https://canalrivertr...lved/donate-now

It wont take long before we will be seeing if this new style of governing our waterways will work, by becoming a CRT'er it will help rally support for the new charity.

We could do with someone drawing up a unofficial "CRT'er" logo (cartoon) so we could be individual CRT'ers (Canal River Trust Enrolled supporter) - as the charity if anything it is a bit stark IMHO and needs a more cheerful look to it.

In Birmingham today posters are alongside main roads advertising CRT and chuggers seemed to collaring folks at the top of Farmers Bridge.

Go on, its only £3.00 a month to be a CRT'er!!

https://canalrivertr...lved/donate-now