Thames

dekker

Featured Posts

Which way from Oxford? Upstream of Oxford looks ok, downstream you might want to stay moored up.

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

Bear in mind that this page hasn't yet been updated today (as of 9.52am, 9th June).

Edit: I do see narrowboaters going past on yellow boards and even a few on red boards. It's a personal decision, but one which should be made with awareness of the conditions. Lock keepers may warn you, but I'm not sure if they can stop you.

Edited by blackrose

Which way from Oxford? Upstream of Oxford looks ok, downstream you might want to stay moored up.

Bear in mind that this page hasn't yet been updated today (as of 9.52am, 9th June).

Edit: I do see narrowboaters going past on yellow boards and even a few on red boards. It's a personal decision, but one which should be made with awareness of the conditions. Lock keepers may warn you, but I'm not sure if they can stop you.

It's a good time to check that you have a good anchor and that the other end of the line is very securely attached!

As a narrow-boating newbie, from the world of sail and motor-boats (with several years based on the Thames), might I pitch in?

In challenging conditions, I'd suggest you need two anchors, both with decent lengths of good, heavy, chain. The boat lies to the friction between chain and bed, not to the anchor, and the anchor is there to hold the end of the chain in place; a rope rode is inadequate other than in very low-load situations. Why two? One (the bower) will hold the boat from progressing downstream, the other (the kedge) is deployed from the stern, to prevent swinging into the fairway or into obstructions etc.

If your boat is too long to swing in the width available, and you're making way downstream when you need to go to anchor, you would of course need to use the kedge as the bower, and vice versa, so this needs to be a deciding factor in the size of your tackle (no sniggering at the back!).

In my experience, a decent kedge set-up is a great help in mooring with the bow against a small access place on the bank, as one can hold the stern precisely in place and often make a mooring where none was apparently possible - this can be very helpful in busy spots, and achieved many good nights for me on the Thames. Of course, great care must always be taken not to obstruct the fairway, but it's worth noting that with that proviso, it is perfectly in order to anchor on the non-tidal Thames, though you'll need to be prepared for rowers to collide with you, as they don't expect boats to be lying at anchor, and their look-out can leave something to be desired. The perfect set-up has powerful winches at both bow and stern, but that may be going too far on a NB, unless you're going to visit strong currents often...

Edited by theiC

Thanks Blackrose. I did say Oxford to Teddington is that Up or Down stream I am unsure of this?

I would not be going on yellow boards does it not affect your insurance anyway?

Dekker :cheers:

As a narrow-boating newbie, from the world of sail and motor-boats (with several years based on the Thames), might I pitch in?

In challenging conditions, I'd suggest you need two anchors, both with decent lengths of good, heavy, chain. The boat lies to the friction between chain and bed, not to the anchor, and the anchor is there to hold the end of the chain in place; a rope rode is inadequate other than in very low-load situations. Why two? One (the bower) will hold the boat from progressing downstream, the other (the kedge) is deployed from the stern, to prevent swinging into the fairway or into obstructions etc.

If your boat is too long to swing in the width available, and you're making way downstream when you need to go to anchor, you would of course need to use the kedge as the bower, and vice versa, so this needs to be a deciding factor in the size of your tackle (no sniggering at the back!).

In my experience, a decent kedge set-up is a great help in mooring with the bow against a small access place on the bank, as one can hold the stern precisely in place and often make a mooring where none was apparently possible - this can be very helpful in busy spots, and achieved many good nights for me on the Thames. Of course, great care must always be taken not to obstruct the fairway, but it's worth noting that with that proviso, it is perfectly in order to anchor on the non-tidal Thames, though you'll need to be prepared for rowers to collide with you, as they don't expect boats to be lying at anchor, and their look-out can leave something to be desired. The perfect set-up has powerful winches at both bow and stern, but that may be going too far on a NB, unless you're going to visit strong currents often...

Wow! I think I'll stay on the cut after all.

Oxford to Teddington is downstream. Teddington Lock is where non-tidal meets tidal Thames, though the level below Teddington is maintained as far as Richmond, below which the river is purely tidal.

EA say on their site that it is getting worse over the weekend and into next week

Thanks Blackrose. I did say Oxford to Teddington is that Up or Down stream I am unsure of this?

I would not be going on yellow boards does it not affect your insurance anyway?

Dekker :cheers:

Wow! I think I'll stay on the cut after all.

That seems a shame. The Thames is easy to cope with even when the yellow boards are up. The EA are terribly conservative in displaying them.

I doubt insurance is affected by yellow boards. The only way to find out for sure is to read your policy. I've read my third party policy and from memory it makes no reference whatsoever to river conditions other than that I cannot go in the sea and must stay inside the Thames barrier, or something. So I am insured if I bang into you even on red boards, you'll be pleased to hear!

Oh, and you'll NEVER get from Oxford (downstream) to Teddington in a day, if that was your intention, no matter how fast the current is running!

I don't think they can stop you. AIUI the Thames has similar status to a road, in that there is a right of way, a 'right to navigate'. No doubt one of the legally clued up bods on here will be along to contradict me on this any second ;)

That seems a shame. The Thames is easy to cope with even when the yellow boards are up. The EA are terribly conservative in displaying them.

I doubt insurance is affected by yellow boards. The only way to find out for sure is to read your policy. I've read my third party policy and from memory it makes no reference whatsoever to river conditions other than that I cannot go in the sea and must stay inside the Thames barrier, or something. So I am insured if I bang into you even on red boards, you'll be pleased to hear!

Oh, and you'll NEVER get from Oxford (downstream) to Teddington in a day, if that was your intention, no matter how fast the current is running!

I don't think they can stop you. AIUI the Thames has similar status to a road, in that there is a right of way, a 'right to navigate'. No doubt one of the legally clued up bods on here will be along to contradict me on this any second ;)

I was waiting for this comment, no it was not my intention but this V12 Merc engine doesn't half shift!