Kennet and Avon bridge height...

Gerkin6000

Featured Posts

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have any experience in going down the Kennet and Avon in anything around 7'6-8' high? I know there's one bridge near Newbury that is around this height and have heard of someone doing it in an 8'. Would love to hear of some 1st hand experience, we need to get our boat and it's wheelhouse back to London in one piece but may have to cut it down.

Thanks in advance :)

The Parkway bridge in central Newbury used to be the lowest on the river but it has been rebuilt now at a generous height - I thought I would mention that in case you are looking at an older guidebook.

Not sure what the navigable height of High Bridge in Reading is but it always seems the lowest on the whole Kennet & Avon to me.

It also has very low edges that you get pushed to in the flow, as that section is all River Kennet..

Also Newbury town bridge is the same in the flow ..lower at the edges..we always have to remove our bit chimney before going down

There are a couple of bridges in Bristol that are ridiculously low..but fortunately they are movable..although we did go under them crouching down to steer!!

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have any experience in going down the Kennet and Avon in anything around 7'6-8' high? I know there's one bridge near Newbury that is around this height and have heard of someone doing it in an 8'. Would love to hear of some 1st hand experience, we need to get our boat and it's wheelhouse back to London in one piece but may have to cut it down.

Thanks in advance :)

Is there still a slightly low flat concrete farm access bridge somewhere semmington way? I recall one removing the exhaust stack when we took Bristol to Bath.

Otherwise - as mentioned above - the issue is the 'big' arch bridges on the river sections where the current makes it very difficult to go straight down the middle...

Simon.

yes, Waddon bridge. But I can't find any reference to air draft.

....being vague about 7'6" to 8' isn't much help unless the OP is intending a brown underpants traverse

I would have though it was 6 foot ish.

found a picture, looks like it might be big enough

467407_9677990a.jpg

yes, Waddon bridge. But I can't find any reference to air draft.

....being vague about 7'6" to 8' isn't much help unless the OP is intending a brown underpants traverse

I would have though it was 6 foot ish.

found a picture, looks like it might be big enough

467407_9677990a.jpg

Wrong bridge Chris, is the next one towards Hilperton, by the permanent moorings.

Hilperton marsh, no. 165

BWB claim 8ft headroom through Reading on their site. and they are conservative. Be aware that it is a river so can rise with rainwater so watch for the red amber and green markers on the locks. The last bridge in the restricted section is on a bad right-hand bend so steer into the right side of the bridge to ensure that you are not pushed into the wall by the current. Where are you at now?

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)