From Norbury

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, hiring out from Norbury on the shrop, want to go southish,as have been north of there already, initial plan was to go to worceter and return, but no itinary as yet, prefer none industrial,or city/ town like places,prefer country pubs and villiages etc, any ideas would be most welcome,only two of us.Plan about 6 hours a day cruising, 4 hours first day 2 hours last day.Thanks for your ideas, experience in advance..Tim.

Hi, hiring out from Norbury on the shrop, want to go southish,as have been north of there already, initial plan was to go to worceter and return, but no itinary as yet, prefer none industrial,or city/ town like places,prefer country pubs and villiages etc, any ideas would be most welcome,only two of us.Plan about 6 hours a day cruising, 4 hours first day 2 hours last day.Thanks for your ideas, experience in advance..Tim.

Why not do the 4 counties ring, easily done in 10 days. Lots of variety and Harecastle tunnel.

Ian

We used to have a share boat based at Norbury, and did a trip to Worcester and back in a week. That part of the Staffs and Worcs is really pretty and has a lot to recommend it. Parts are very narrow with rocky cliffs on one side, Kinver is nice, Kidderminster gives the opportunity of restocking with both Sainsbury's and Tesco right next to the canal. Stourport and the basins are well worth a look, and the River Severn offers a complete contrast.

If you really do get four hours on the first afternoon, I'd suggest stopping above the locks at the Bratch - it's a lovely spot, and you can go and have a good look round in the evening and be first down the locks in the morning. We never attempted to get that far on the first afternoon, usually stopping at Wheaton Aston. There are also good SUCS moorings near Bridge 8.

Thanks Ian but done most of the four counties etc,so want a different scene,and thanks for the post on getting to Bratch,and other suggestions, I normally start late and go on till dusk,lot of the time its quieter,I will look it up on google.

Thanks for that idea, had a look at on canal plan ,but at 6 hrs a day doing the droitwich ring would take me too long,by a day.I can see its doable but might make it a bit rushed for me,as plan on sight seeing[stopping at as many pubs as possible]and as its only me to drive the boat,[apart from at locks, where she doesnt mind driving for a bit,while I lock wheel],if I plan on doing more hours I feel Im constrained by the clock,which I dont like.Thanks for the suggestion though.