Lurcher doggy

monty

Featured Posts

Dont live on the boat, or have a lurcher.

- However our pippa, an unknown x-breed mongrel was often said to "have a fiar bit of" lurcher in her, as well as just about everything else, but she was great on the boat....!

Edited by dhutch

Our dog has a bit of Lurcher in him, we think, and he's a cracking boat dog.

I've said this before and I may aswell say it again... The owner makes the dog, it's you who will decide what the Dog grows up into.

Don't live on a boat but do have a lurcher. Beautiful temperament. A little shy if anything, but she was a rescue dog. Saying that she's still very protective of the female members of the family, the garden and the section of towpath opposite the garden! She gets a good walk first thing in the morning then collapses *all day* before another walk in the evening. Wouldn't want to leave any dog alone if possible but it's a great breed if you do need to leave them for a few hours. As long as they get a walk or bit of excercise before you leave them they'll tend to just sleep or lounge.

Don't live on a boat but do have a lurcher. Beautiful temperament. A little shy if anything, but she was a rescue dog. Saying that she's still very protective of the female members of the family, the garden and the section of towpath opposite the garden! She gets a good walk first thing in the morning then collapses *all day* before another walk in the evening. Wouldn't want to leave any dog alone if possible but it's a great breed if you do need to leave them for a few hours. As long as they get a walk or bit of excercise before you leave them they'll tend to just sleep or lounge.

Thanks for replies,unfortunatly just got gazzumped at a dog rescue centre :P but will keep my eyes open for another one Cheers again :D

I got Barney, my Lurcher as I required a lightweight, but full sized dog. Like many other people could not get a better breed of dog.

A 'Lurcher' is a mongrol, with one or more of his pedigree being from the sighthound family, and another being from a different familiy e.g. herding. So there is no such thing as 'a bit of a Lurcher'. One definition of where the name derived from states, in the middle ages commoners (us) were not allowed sighthounds i.e. hunting dogs. As many commoners required dogs to hunt for survival, they probably crossed a sighthound with one of their herding dogs, to make it more bidable, and disguise it's appearance. 'Lur' is the Romany word for 'thief', and a 'cur' is a mongrel; so it became known as a 'lurcher' - the thief's mongrel.

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/malcsworld/barnmain/barney1.htm

Have a read of Bardney's stories. There is also more information about them.

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/index.htm

There are many dog rescue centres around the UK. Evesham Greyhound & Lurcher Rescue and Jerry Green sanctuaries to name but 2 top ones.