Sawley Marina - Moorings

Featured Posts

Just a quick note regarding the BWML Marina at Sawley

It's a large, reasonably well equipped, wonderfully located marina, and in the past I've recommended it to others.

However, during the last few months we've had a number of vehicles broken into, a number of cruisers broken into, and (at least one) bicycle stolen

I realise that these things happen, but what is so very disappointing is the attitude of the Marina Management, whom show not even a passing concern about the security of the site, or people's losses, and can't even bring themselves to use trhe CCTV that was installed over a year ago - and has (as far as I can determine) has not worked for some considerable time.

Even the local Crime Officer has today expressed disappointment at the lackadaisical approach to security.

I mention the above because, of course, should anyone be looking for moorings, the Marina staff won't be mentioning it.

HTH

Dave

• Greenie 1

I am sorry to hear that Dave. Can't be comfortable having to have eyes in the back of your head all the time.

How's the hip? Can you use your crutches to bop the scallies on the head? Love to you both

Jo

Noted Dave as a fellow BWML moorer it is dissapointing to hear the mgt. down there don't seem to give a toss.

Our marina manager seems more concerned about her customers so hopefully we would get a better response.

For anybody who needs a mooring down there I suspect Mercia could knock spots off Sawley

Yeah my neighbour was telling me they'd had some stuff taken. It's sad.

It's got me thinking that they must have a key - whoever is doing this, cos I can't see a bike being hauled either over/through the hedge/barbed wire/gates.

The management response seems rubbish, have they even reviewed security? maybe checked that there are no significant holes in said hedge/barbed wire fence? If the CCTV ain't working it probably explains why the gate is left open at all hours, maybe helping the perpetrators? and nothing is done about the people who do that.

People will vote by moving if nothing is done about it.

We've been moored near Sawley for a couple of days and have gone into the shop a few times to get milk, newspaper and other boat bits. On one visit there was a queue of half a dozen people at the main counter - all queuing to make a complaint! One of the women behind the counter asked if anyone had anything easy for her to deal with, a bloke replied he had a invoice to deal with - but it weren't going to be easy.

We ended up walking out without the milk as no one was serving the till by the door - anyone could have easily walked out with any of their clothing or shoes that are displayed near the front of the shop.

I am sorry to hear that Dave. Can't be comfortable having to have eyes in the back of your head all the time.

How's the hip? Can you use your crutches to bop the scallies on the head? Love to you both

Jo

Hip is wonderful thanks, Jo . . . . Am much more mobile than have been for years - and it's still improving :)

Don't suppose the camouflage boat is on the other side of the cut??

They've been around - oh yes - and I've spotted it from the train to Loughborough !

Noted Dave as a fellow BWML moorer it is dissapointing to hear the mgt. down there don't seem to give a toss.

Our marina manager seems more concerned about her customers so hopefully we would get a better response.

For anybody who needs a mooring down there I suspect Mercia could knock spots off Sawley

Absolutely - - we leave here early July - and would never come back without a serious change of Management's attitude/approach

For what its worth, BWML has some problems in that its profit for the last year will be well below forecast. In January last year, the board agreed to give BWML £4m to 'expand by acquisition'. However, buying a couple of marinas has not improved BWML's profit to the level expected. BW are blaming a late upgrade in the London area (they attempted to do it without applying for planning permission) and increased competition in the Midlands.

I have been told of demotions and job cuts at Sawley in order to save money but this is hearsay.

Interestingly, BW's finance director, Philip Ridal, who is also a BWML director admitted some maladministration with regard to BWML not returning profit to BW but has justified it by saying that it has allowed BW to invest less over the years.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

For what its worth, BWML has some problems in that its profit for the last year will be well below forecast. In January last year, the board agreed to give BWML £4m to 'expand by acquisition'. However, buying a couple of marinas has not improved BWML's profit to the level expected. BW are blaming a late upgrade in the London area (they attempted to do it without applying for planning permission) and increased competition in the Midlands.

I have been told of demotions and job cuts at Sawley in order to save money but this is hearsay.

Interestingly, BW's finance director, Philip Ridal, who is also a BWML director admitted some maladministration with regard to BWML not returning profit to BW but has justified it by saying that it has allowed BW to invest less over the years.

There has certainly been a 'job-cut', (the person in question being one of the longer-serving, and most competent I suspect)

Mind you, there would appear to be prevalent by the management one of the poorest 'work-ethic' approaches I have seen for many a year

And there is certainly competition - - Mercia - just 16 miles up the cut, is still winning business from here.

When I asked whether there was any intention of clearing the already substantial amounts of weed from the Marina, the response was - -

"we can't afford to hire a weed cutter! - But it only really affects boats with raw water cooling!"

(a good 50% of the boats in the marina are GRP cruisers! )

I have noticed issues with bwml here at packet boat too.

Over the last few months more people seem to be leaving and they don't seem to be helping themselves, sending out a email to all customers detailing price increases but including local competitors prices some of which work out at 50% less for a leisure mooring. And in these economic times who can throw away money for a very similar service?