fire extinguishers

DeanS

Featured Posts

Exactly...!

I had five Wickes extinguishers...with CE marks and British Kite marks...

Was fine 4 years ago for last BSS but its been changed over that time.

Nothing has changed since 2005

These are the marks in my gallery

I think you will find actual "expiry" or "use by" dates are not actually common on many recently supplied extinguishers.

Certainly all I have bought in the last 5 years or so have a manufacturing date, but nothing by way of expiry.

As Alan says; those with express expiry dates are nearly as rare as hens teeth

I hear what you say...BUT...as my inspector said to me:

"In these days of tough economic climate...if there is any little thing that your insurance company can use to avoid paying a claim...they will. Any slight failure or grey area on your part...could leave you with no boat and no money. "

Of course..he's right..and on that basis...I'm not taking any chances.!!

Maybe... But insurance is not the same as BSS and the question was about BSS requirements. Your earlier post stated that certain extinguishers which would have satisfied the BSS previously no longer will. We now have it from the horse's mouth that this is not the case. Introducing insurance is a red herring when your initial claim was about the BSS.

As I mentioned before..(and not picking on you)

If you are fire damaged...and the insurance company finds an extinguisher problem..an expiry date (even if refilled) ..or a 'grey area'....do you think they will pay out ??

Some of us are not in thrall to insurance companies. We know they won't pay out if they can help it, so we don't waste money on any more than the legal minimum third party and salvage insurance.

Edited by Chertsey

The Boat Safety Scheme has approved a service free extinguisher that will last 10 years. This saves of course some money but also makes it easier, since you don't have to be in a particular place once a year to meet a service engineer!

See BSS spec NPI 01-12

It's made in the UK by Britannia and is called 'Fireworld P50'

Harry

I went on a Fire / Water safety course last week, you get to try all the different types of extinguisher.

Water on an oil fire has to be seen to be believed, as does the mess from a dry powder extinguisher.

The foam extinguisher was incredibly effective on a diesel fire, it put it out within a couple of seconds and the instructor couldn't relight it with a gas torch until he scooped the foam off.

Dry powder was far less effective, strange that most boats have this, cost I suppose.

One further thing getting the diesel to light in the first place even playing a gas torch on it was impossible, then he placed a dry rag in the diesel, with a wick it was on fire in seconds. Keep that engine bay tidy folks.

Ken

The Boat Safety Scheme has approved a service free extinguisher that will last 10 years. This saves of course some money but also makes it easier, since you don't have to be in a particular place once a year to meet a service engineer!

See BSS spec NPI 01-12

It's made in the UK by Britannia and is called 'Fireworld P50'

Harry

Only problem being that it seems to be a 6KG extinguisher, costing around £120 ?????

Linky

When you can buy three compliant extinguishers for about £50, that anyway don't have an expiry date on them, I can't see too many people buying individual extinguishers at £120

(Oh, and they seem to be nearly 2 feet long, and about 7 inches diameter!!!)

strange that most boats have this, cost I suppose.

No, it is because dry Powder can be used on all (nearly) types of fire. The others have limitations and can as you saw, with water on oil, be dangerous.

The untrained, as most boaters are, will not know which type to use on which fire, so the most usable is advised.

Chart available here to which type for which fire. http://www.fireandsa...isher-chart.php

A fire extinguisher should only be used as an escape aid, not to fight a fire.

Get out and stay out.

:)

Edited by bottle