Southern Oxford

Proper Job

Featured Posts

South Oxford Canal Bridge 234 - Perrys Lift Bridge

Friday 18 May 2012 until further notice

Perrys Lift Bridge 234 will be closed until further notice due to a large lorry becoming stuck on the Bridge and damaging the deck.

Further information will be published on Waterscape once we have accessed the Bridge damage.

This will upset anyone heading in to Oxford. Obviously, if you're planning to go out on to the Thames or are traveling up the Thames to get on to the Southern Oxford, you can go via Dukes cut

Staggering, that lift bridge is TINY! Hardly big enough to drive a car over let alone a 'large lorry'.

I don't like Perrys Lift Bridge. It is responsible for the damage to the cratch on Aldebaran. Nothing to do with Aldebaran being longer than I thought as I approached the bridge, obviously :D

(I was single handed and planning to climb off the front of the boat straight onto the bridge to lift it, and got there sooner than I expected. Doh!)

Staggering, that lift bridge is TINY! Hardly big enough to drive a car over let alone a 'large lorry'.

I don't like Perrys Lift Bridge. It is responsible for the damage to the cratch on Aldebaran. Nothing to do with Aldebaran being longer than I thought as I approached the bridge, obviously :D

(I was single handed and planning to climb off the front of the boat straight onto the bridge to lift it, and got there sooner than I expected. Doh!)

Was it a sewage tanker by any chance?

Friday 18 May 2012 until further notice

Perrys Lift Bridge 234 will be closed until further notice due to a large lorry becoming stuck on the Bridge and damaging the deck.

Further information will be published on Waterscape once we have accessed the Bridge damage.

This will upset anyone heading in to Oxford. Obviously, if you're planning to go out on to the Thames or are traveling up the Thames to get on to the Southern Oxford, you can go via Dukes cut

The original e-mail from Waterscape is unclear and possibly ambiguous. What does "Bridge 234 will be closed until further notice" actually mean? Is it the navigation or the roadway which is closed? (or both?)

it is open again!

Friday 18 May 2012 - Friday 18 May 2012

UPDATE (18 May 2012): Navigation is now fully open at Bridge 234 as of 1pm 18th May 2012.

British Waterways staff are on site to repair the bridge. Repairs are due to be completed by the end of today.

The original e-mail from Waterscape is unclear and possibly ambiguous. What does "Bridge 234 will be closed until further notice" actually mean? Is it the navigation or the roadway which is closed? (or both?)

Blimey ! Waterscape must be reading my mind. Here's the answer to my own question -

"UPDATE (18 May 2012): Navigation is now fully open at Bridge 234 as of 1pm 18th May 2012. "

It was only closed for half an hour.

I know it's open again, but for information, Perrys Lift bridge is exactly what it says, it's a lift bridge. If the bridge is bust, there is no navigation

............If the bridge is bust, there is no navigation

To steal a line from the famous song - It ain't necessarily so, and in this instance, certainly after Waterscape's second e-mail at 2.22 pm, it wasn't so. The second message stated that navigation was open as of 1.00 pm but that BW staff were on site and repairs were expected to be complete by the end of the day, i.e. bridge still bust but navigation open. I don't know about the extreme south of the Oxford canal but certainly elsewhere on the system there are plenty of lift bridges which are bust, but bust in the open position, so they don't preclude navigation. All I was asking was for BW to make ir clear in their stoppages e-mails, exactly what is the situation, and not leave us guessing

Perhaps a little education is needed here as if you read the first e-mail you'll see that further information was to be published on Waterscape once BW had accessed the bridge damage. I'm pretty sure that the writer intended to say "assessed the bridge damage" not accessed, which puts a completely different slant on it.