Lockgate Refleks Back Boilers

pinkoi

Featured Posts

Evening Folks,

We have the dubious pleasure of owning at lockgate refleks stove 2000kv which we have almost tamed.

So now it's back boiler is doing a wonderful impression of a sieve. It started off about 2 months ago with a small bead of water being visible on top of the boiler when we let it go out for a day or so. Then the little watery dots multiplied and now leave it off for a day we have a bout a table spoon of water in the bottom by the end of the day. This makes it make a wonderful sizzling noise about 10 mins after lighting but if it carries on at this rate we will soon struggle to light it...

Does anyone know if, or have experience of replacing the back boiler in one of the beauties? We are slightly anxious as this is our only source of hot water apart from ye olde kettle.

I have sent a couple of emails to lockgate who always used to reply to stuff via their webform about if the boiler can be replaced on this model but not heard back.

Thanks in advance to lockgate buffs and -10 points to anyone who tells me to chuck it in a skip and get a squirrel ;)

It's just a simple coil, isn't it?

I think I've still got a scrap one in the garage. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Ours isn't a coil its a sort of semi circular tank that comes half way across the burner (perhaps as it's the model that has the visible flame window)- I have seen models that have the coil of pipe in though... Perhaps it's possible to replace with that though...

Thanks for looking

:)

Evening Folks,

We have the dubious pleasure of owning at lockgate refleks stove 2000kv which we have almost tamed.

So now it's back boiler is doing a wonderful impression of a sieve. It started off about 2 months ago with a small bead of water being visible on top of the boiler when we let it go out for a day or so. Then the little watery dots multiplied and now leave it off for a day we have a bout a table spoon of water in the bottom by the end of the day. This makes it make a wonderful sizzling noise about 10 mins after lighting but if it carries on at this rate we will soon struggle to light it...

Does anyone know if, or have experience of replacing the back boiler in one of the beauties? We are slightly anxious as this is our only source of hot water apart from ye olde kettle.

I have sent a couple of emails to lockgate who always used to reply to stuff via their webform about if the boiler can be replaced on this model but not heard back.

Thanks in advance to lockgate buffs and -10 points to anyone who tells me to chuck it in a skip and get a squirrel ;)

With tin hat and my coat to hand.. The Squirel has bigger nuts. I have used one in various houses/trucks for years 'n years & it's easy to 'tame'. A number of people i know have 'inherited' stoves of your type but not for long.

taslim.

With tin hat and my coat to hand.. The Squirel has bigger nuts. I have used one in various houses/trucks for years 'n years & it's easy to 'tame'. A number of people i know have 'inherited' stoves of your type but not for long.

taslim.

-10 points, but I can see why people could get hacked off with diesel stoves as mastering them takes time, it's only because we have had to learn because we live aboard.

Having said that if this one dies we probably would have another one... We have a multifuel stove for our back cabin and it's not much fun with the dust and the shifting coal and not been able to keep it in for more than 48hrs.

-10 points, but I can see why people could get hacked off with diesel stoves as mastering them takes time, it's only because we have had to learn because we live aboard.

Having said that if this one dies we probably would have another one... We have a multifuel stove for our back cabin and it's not much fun with the dust and the shifting coal and not been able to keep it in for more than 48hrs.

Ours is also the coil type, Never ever had to master our Refleks, we light it when it gets cold and it never goes out unless we run out of diesel and then I clean the pot and relight again, stays lit till the weather gets warm

Possibly. The one I've got doesn't have a visible flame.

I'll dig it out and you're welcome to play with it, if you want it.

Carlt,

Thanks thats a really kind offer. I'm going to phone lockgate today and I will PM you if I don't get any joy as the coil would be good (I don't mind loosing the visible flame window- it's normally black with soot anyway!).

Carlt,

Thanks thats a really kind offer. I'm going to phone lockgate today and I will PM you if I don't get any joy as the coil would be good (I don't mind loosing the visible flame window- it's normally black with soot anyway!).

My window usually clears when the flame is burning - is your flame hot enough to burn off the carbon?

My window usually clears when the flame is burning - is your flame hot enough to burn off the carbon?

Nope carbon on the window never seems to clear, it only clouds up if we get mucky orange flame for a long period when it's going out or starting up....

We have a pan scourer for the task instead :)

• 2 weeks later...