BMC 1.5 - Starting concern

Boatman Al

Featured Posts

Thanks. I do understand why compression can influence starting (or lack of). What I could not understand is why there is a view that, on an engine that has cold starting problems, a compression test is not so important if that engine starts well when warm. Maybe it is because an engine that starts well when warm must have reasonable compression?

Thanks. I do understand why compression can influence starting (or lack of). What I could not understand is why there is a view that, on an engine that has cold starting problems, a compression test is not so important if that engine starts well when warm. Maybe it is because an engine that starts well when warm must have reasonable compression?

Yes, that's it

Richard

Yes, that's it

Richard

Hmmm so this indicates the progressively worsening cold starting of REGINALD is not a compression issue then, as he starts as easily as ever when hot.

Did you ever get any further with obtaining (or was the problem specifying) new injectors Richard?!

MtB

Hmmm so this indicates the progressively worsening cold starting of REGINALD is not a compression issue then, as he starts as easily as ever when hot.

Did you ever get any further with obtaining (or was the problem specifying) new injectors Richard?!

MtB

I'd forgotten about that. I can ask if you want

Richard

Had the diesel man over yesterday and he spent a couple of hours looking at the engine. All is well as far as he in concerned other than a newly installed (by previous owner) alternator is not aligned properly- shims required.

Cold starting seems to be improving as the engine gets used more but probably the thing that made the difference was me giving the starter battery a couple of hours on the charger. As the diesel man said, BMC's are not the best starters and mine is behaving at about par for the course.